Pain control

Options
Darren_chick
Darren_chick Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Good evening all
My name's Darren and I suffer with severe osteoarthritis in my hips and knees,and it has just started to affect my wrists.
What painkillers are people using.
I have had tramadol,co codamol(currently using) morphine and anti inflammatory drugs.
I can't abide opiates,but they are the only thing that seem to help
Does anyone else use anything non opiate based ?
Thank you in Advance

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi@Darren_chick

Welcome to the online community. I am sure plenty of people will come along to tell you which meds they use/have tried. Pain relief is such an individual thing.

It rather sounds as though you have a fair bit of knowledge about the subject, but just in case I am attaching a link to Versus Arthritis' information on treatments:

There is info on other options too which you may or may not have tried.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I use prescribed 30/500 cocodamol, interspersed / eked out by OTC cocos or plain paracetamol. I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis and pain is a constant fact of life. Any method of pain relief merely dulls the sharper edges, that's what I have learned over the past 23 arthritic years. I have learned that when my mind is occupied the pain appears to recede, aided by the dullers, but there are occssions when it is harder to do. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi Darren, I’m on 30/500 cocodamol and naproxen, swapping for paracetamol if I’m having a “good” day. My doc didn’t want to try anything stronger as it clashes with the amitryptilene I’m on for depression. Not loving the constipation the cocos bring, turns going to the loo to aerobic exercise 😱😖😳

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    Options

CBD oil daily and periodic acupuncture (traditional Chinese five element model) in addition to Co-Codamol 500/30. I have also, on occasion, used Rhus Tox 30c in addition for sacroilitis (i.e. when it flares up) with some effect.

Hope this is of interest.

Arthur

• mogmac
    mogmac Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on cosentyx, biological treatment, durrogesic 50mg pain patches and paracetamol. Was on methotrexate but I now have liver cirrhosis due to that
  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Apologies to @Darren_chick for hijacking your thread I just wanted to quickly welcome @mogmac who has just joined the forum.

Hello mogmac Welcome to the Online Community. I see you are having no problem at all joining in which is great.

I very much hope you are being looked after in terms of your liver?

I look forward to seeing you posting.

Best wishes

Ellen