GCA

Hi wondered if anyone here has GCA? I was diagnosed with this last year, and have been shielding from work since April.

Comments

• PiP
    PiP Member Posts: 1

I was diagnosed with GCA January 2020 I have been shielding since March first lockdown 2020 luckily I am retired so do not have to worry about that. My consultant did tell me it is rare I only know 1 other person who has it. Stay well stay safe

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,622

Hello@PiP

Welcome to the Online Community.

Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA) is a rare condition yes. I am so pleased you have found this site and can connect with others who have it too.

For those who do not know what it is here is a link: Giant cell arteritis (GCA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

and this is another thread from August last year by another person with the condition: Hi — Versus Arthritis

It's good that you are able to shield at home safely as you being retired.

Please do join in anywhere you wish you are assured of a warm welcome from our members.

Best wishes

Ellen

• Kizzy1
    Kizzy1 Member Posts: 2

I have just been diagnosed with GCA and fibromyalgia. I’m 55 and apparently this is unusual as it doesn’t normally show up til about 60-70. I’m on steroids (60mg) but I’m starting the reduction tomorrow. I should be having a biopsy this week.

It’s all a bit scary, isn’t it?

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    edited 19. May 2022, 08:40

Hi @Kizzy1 - welcome to the online community!

I see you also have GCA, as well as Fibromyalgia. You're having a biopsy later this week as well as having your Steroid medication being reduced.

If you're new to GCA at all I do suggest you have a look at the link @Ellen provided above - especially the section about "Managing symptoms" - it can be quite helpful. I've added a similar link to information about Fibromyalgia below, which also has some good sections to read about ideas to help manage it.

I do hope the biopsy and steroid reduction goes well for you. If you ever have any questions or experiences you want to share, please do so here. We all have similar experiences, and sometimes it really nice to be able to talk to others who know where you're coming from!

Lovely to meet you!

Shell