Sulfasalazine - side effects

Lenka
Lenka Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone, hope you are keeping well. I have just signed up to this site. I have been taking Sulfasalazine for couple of months and been experiencing little bit of nausea but my main problem is light-headiness and headaches. Also have been feeling very tired.
Is this something that will go away with time?
Thank you
Lenka

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Lenka and welcome to the online community!

I'm sure some of our members who have experience of taking sulfasalazine, will get back to you with their experiences of taking this drug. Since it's a disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD), it can take up to 12 weeks before you might notice any difference, but you may notice side effects before then. Light-headedness and headaches do seem to be among the more common side effects. Here's a link to the Versus Arthritis webpage that gives you a bit more information about the drug:

All the best,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I had a different reaction with sulph but that settled after six weeks or so (this was back in 2002 so I can't really remember). I also cannot remember if these are listed side-effects (I never read the leaflets) but check yours and if it is then inform your rheumatologist that this is happening. I wish you well. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben