Has anyone had a Trapeziectomy in their 40’s?

Options
Just wondering what the outcomes are like regarding strength and function. Thank you

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @KirstK Welcome to the Online Community.

Trapeziectomy is one of the subjects which comes up quite regularly here so if you are lucky you should get replies from people who have had the procedure.

On the left hand side of this page, above 'New Discussion' in yellow, if you pop Trapeziectomy in there you will get lots of previous discussions to read through.

I also attach this link which might be of interest:

Please do join in wherever you feel comfortable and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• KirstK
    KirstK Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you Ellen and dreamdaisy (love the name by the way!) Really appreciate your responses. I have had quite a few orthopaedic ops but considering this one is a little tricky as I am a Pilates instructor as well as a cycling one, so am hoping I would be able to continue with those. At the moment I have practically no function in the hand due to the pain and loss of strength. I have had no relief from 2 steroid injections so I'm kind of thinking I have nothing to loose and might actually gain more function than I have already due to reduced pain. I know it will be a long recovery and that I will have to do the exercises. Hoping for some success stories to make my decision easier.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

@KirstK It's been a while since anyone has posted their progress after such an operation.

I hope you'll come back and let us know how you get on. With most operations doing as you are told post-operatively seems to be key and as you are an orthopaedic veteran I reckon you'll do your best!