Hi am over here.

Dannyt
Dannyt Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone my name's Danny and I was diagnosed in 2012 with RA over the last year or so that has been changed to psrosisic arthritis which I found strange but hey ho. I have tried a few biological treatments but my body just doesn't like them and I reject them. Over the past 9 months I have only had painkillers and anti inflammatorys but I also decided to try a vegan diet which has helped and I also lost 2 stone happy day's. So I am now struggling quite a bit at times especially my feet which can be a nightmare and I have bouts of breathlessness which is quite worrying but these seem to come and go . I think that's me lol forgot to say I am 54 years young and have 3 boy's and 1 daughter also 2 dogs so hello nice to see you all.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Hello, I too have PsA and OA. I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged 7, both auto-immune inflammatory conditions so the first arthritis was no big surprise whereas the second was. I inject meth and humira which is controlling the PsA and manage the OA with pain relief, exercise and rest.

I have the PsA without much of the P so that is a blessing. I had a very limited diet as a child thanks to the eczema which kinda helped that but diet has not affected the activity of the PsA. If I eat too much acidic food the OA worsens so I don't as it worsens far too frequently with the weather. I began when I was 37, and deliberately childless because I knew what I could pass on. I am also petl-ess due to intolerance of dander, my husband wants a pair of black labs so we are building a luxurious kennels in the garden. For me.

My PsA affects all my toes, both knees, all my fingers and both elbows. The OA is in both ankles, both knees, both hips, both wrists and one shoulder. My asthma is helped by the meds but I still need my inhalers year-round. Hayfever still has a go too despite the immuno-suppression but I really don't care any more. My body failed me from birth and always will. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Danny, nice to meet you. I was recently diagnosed with OA which appeared from nowhere, to find that suddenly I need a new hip. I am so grateful (if rather confused) that I didn’t have to go through years of pain getting to this point, one day I’ve got a bit of a limp then suddenly I am struggling to walk and the X-ray just said “Wow, that’s horrible!” The first thing I did was decide to lose weight to take the strain off my hip, nearly one stone down, at least one more to go, so well done shifting yours. A few of my family are vegan or leaning that way, but it seems a huge leap in life style change. I’ll just sneak a few more veggie meals meanwhile. Did you notice any reduction in pain from changing to vegan?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 2. Jul 2020, 06:30

Hi @Dannyt lovely to meet a fellow vegan! 🙂 I was veggie of about 30 years and added vegan in veganuary to help with my lung condition and it has helped a good bit!

The breathlessness? Have you had it checked out? I would as a 'lungie', but I also know I can have mild 'panic attacks' at times which make me feel breathless too.

I'm glad you've found the forum. there are some great people here. It's really helped me over the years.