Impossible To Ignore

Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 7. Feb 2023, 09:51 in News Archive

People with arthritis can’t ignore their pain. Let’s make sure the Government doesn’t, either.

It's not 'just aches and pains', and it's not 'just wear and tear’. It’s not alright – it’s arthritis, and it can steal someone's family life, independence and even the ability to move freely.

See more on our Impossible to Ignore campaign page.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Duly signed thanks Brynmor

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Signed and shared. A well presented campaign. Thank you.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Ditto!

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

People with arthritis can't ignore their pain. Let's make sure the Government doesn’t, either. 

People with arthritis need clear communication about when they can expect to be treated, advice and support for their pain, and assurances that surgery can restart safely.  

Over 15,000 have signed the petition!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I have actually has a reply from my MP:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting me about people who suffer from arthritis. As you may already know, I am the current chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for spondyloarthritis - a painful and progressive form of inflammatory arthritis. As a result of this, I am well informed of the challenges being faced. I also know there is an understanding in NHS England and Government that these services must improve.

As the numbers of patients with Covid-19 requiring critical care decreases, all NHS local systems and organisations are expected to step up non-Covid19 services as soon as possible, while ensuring there are effective infection preventions and controls in place. The resumption of routine care will be prioritised at local level based on local demands, ensuring that the most urgent cases are seen first.

A recent response set out what NHS Trusts are doing to tackle the backlog of more routine hospital and GP appointments, as Edward Argar MP Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care) has said “Whilst routine hospital treatments were suspended to provide capacity to treat COVID-19 patients, we are now working closely with the National Health Service and other partners to restart these in a safe way. Guidance has already been issued on this, and approaches are being tailored at local level according to local capacity and local demand, with the most urgent services being restarted first. Guidance also outlines that contracted independent sector hospital and diagnostic capacity should also be used in the restarting of routine elective procedures.”

Access to urgent and routine care in general practice should be maintained for all patients, and practices should assess where care has been delayed over recent weeks and now needs to be restarted. As capacity allows, general practice teams should proactively address health needs that may have increased, developed or gone unmet during the pandemic, and accommodate changes in how patients want to seek healthcare, including supporting patients with self-care and self-management. Referrals should continue to be made as usual.

With regard to arthritis care and other associated conditions. NHS England and NHS Improvement have developed resources and guidance as part of the musculoskeletal leadership group, which also includes the British Orthopaedic Association, the British Society for Rheumatology, the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, Versus Arthritis and the Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance.

Please be assured that I am committed to seeing services not only resume as quickly as possible but improve for patients who suffer from Arthritis with better patient care and outcomes. The work we are doing with the APPG group is helpful in not just understanding first-hand the challenges but also highlighting the keys issues that need to be addressed.     

Yours sincerely,

Derek Thomas MP

For West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (St Ives)