The role of medication

Options
What is the role of ibuprofen, codeine and paracetamol in managing pain of arthritis. I’m not sure how they are different to each other as my knowledge is that they’re just all painkillers. What way are they utilised to be most effective. I could
do with increasing my knowledge before I go back to my GP with sensible questions! Thanks for any information. Much appreciated.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Al12345

welcome to the forums it is lovley to have you hear. Yes it is always a good idea to gather knowledge about medication so you can get the best of the time with your GP.

Ibuprofen is one of a group of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It's widely used for its pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.

Here is some information about the different kinds of painkillers and how they are often used

I am sure some of our members will share with you their experience of uing these different types of pain killers and what works best for them

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hopefully the info Sharon has provided will answer your question, but from a lay person's point of view, the paracetamol and codeine dull the pain, whereas the ibuprofen reduces the inflammation, but isn't enough to dull the pain on its own.

The codeine is a blighter for causing constipation, but worth taking if you can manage the side effects with laxatives and diet, it's a bit more powerful than paracetamol. I take them combined as cocodamol. The cocodamol comes in various strengths, so discuss what would be best for you with your GP.

Anti inflammatories (ibuprofen etc) can cause stomach problems, so are often taken with omeprazole to protect the lining of the stomach.

I'm on this lot, (naproxen rather than ibuprofen, but same class of drugs), and it keeps me functioning, if not entirely pain free, but maybe that's all I can hope for.