Hot weather and painful swollen joints

Hi everyone
So hope everyone is keeping well and keeping safe.
My question to everyone is I am suffering with more pain with this hot spell my joints are so swollen and painful.
I do physio take my drugs use cold compress and tens machine I work part time and try my best to stay positive . But some days it is so hard my hands n wrists wont work my knees n neck are awful. Has anyone any tips please?
Big ask I know
Tracie

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 16. Aug 2020, 20:36

I read somewhere on this site that it’s related to barometric pressure being at odds with the natural pressure in our joints, resulting in swelling of the soft tissues. This is supposed to settle down once barometric pressure stabilises. It’s often worse in cold wet weather (it certainly is for me, but I do get it in hot weather too, which is my excuse for wearing socks nearly all year round!) So the best thing to do is prob wait for the weather to change and take pain relief meanwhile, if the cold compress etc isn’t working. I get it in my ankles, mainly when it’s very humid, and find that simply keeping warm and dry usually works.

• Tracie
    Tracie Member Posts: 57
    Thank you lillymary that's really interesting about barametric pressure sure explains it.also wet damp weather def too.
    Tracie
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

That was me talking about www.cloudywithachanceofpain, the research we took part in, have a look at the webpage. The bit about tissue swelling is not right, it may not be connected or have another reason?

There were three reasons given for our oa pain in the results

1. Low barometric pressure Which in our latitude equates to wet and windy weather.
    2. damp. (Rain)
    3. cold. (Low pressure storms com8ng through in all our seasons.)
    4. you’ll need to check on these it’s been a while since I’ve read the full conclusion.
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

@Airwave!, thanks for that, I couldn’t remember who had mentioned it. I did a bit of googling, which is where I got the tissue swelling theory from, but can’t verify the theory of course. I’ll check out the website, certainly what you describe is very similar to my experiences since I was very young. So why did I move to one of the coldest and wettest parts of Britain?!🙄😄

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

😂😂😂😂😂😂. Lilymary, I have no idea!

its a grin, honest!