Hello, nice to meet you!

Options
watsoa7
watsoa7 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm Anne.

I was diagnosed with oesteoarthritis in my fingers 8 months ago. I am in my early 50's. I think I have it through typing for many years. I've been very active and sporty throughout my life too... My GP gave me little info, but did refer me to this site, which has been really helpful.

I look forward to sharing experiences with anyone that has a similar condition to me... Both my hands are painful on waking up in the morning but after about half an hour of movement they become more supple and I can use them but certain things are becoming a little more difficult - like opening cans and jars, turning taps, etc...

I'd be interested to hear what gadgets and aids work for you and where you buy them from.

Also, I've tried glucosamine chondroiton, but maybe not for long enough... a couple of months and then lost the discipline to take them.... Research pages on this site show sAME has good reviews... I could only find this in the US but didn't quite reach me as I refused to pay customs tax, that I wasn't expecting... Wondered if anyone has tried this and is it available in the UK?

Speak soon.

Anne

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 22. Aug 2020, 11:23
    Options

Hi @watsoa7

Welcome to the forum , I am surprised that you have not got some informative information on your Osteoarthitis,so here is a link with some advice that may help

Just go to the forums and chat,the most popular are Living with Arthritis, Chit Chat anf Vals café.

Please lets us know how you get on.

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

@Chris_R , you forgot to attach the link!

Hi Anne, welcome to the crew. I have OA in my hips, and I suspect it's lurking elsewhere too.

Glucosamine seems to get mixed reviews as to effectiveness. My sister used to take it a lot but still collects arthritic conditions like it's a hobby, and had two new knees before she was 60. Maybe her condition would have been worse without them? Who can say. I haven't bothered with them, but maybe I should have? It all gets too confusing, so I don't beat myself up about it, and as I'm taking so many pills every day anyway, and as there are so many alleged herbal wonder drugs for most conditions, you have to draw the line somewhere. My GP was pretty sceptical about them, and that was good enough for me.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @watsoa7

Just to follow up, where you have asked about gadgets and aids. We have quite a helpful section on our web site that covers useful tips around the house and then details particular gadgets you might look for to help out with tasks in different rooms:

You say you have been taking nutritional supplements. Again, here is some additional information from our website for both glucosamine and chondroiton.

Lastly, you may also be interested in reading more about Hand and Wrist pain.

Best wishes

Brynmor