Hi

Nannyf
Nannyf Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi there, I’m Fiona, 49, live in Scotland. I work as a nanny looking after 3 young children.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my thumbs a few years ago and tried a lot of different medications before being referred to a consultant for cortisone injections. These work for around 4-6 months. Unfortunately I am now well overdue because of the situation we are currently in and I’m struggling. The pain is now affecting my whole hands. I also now have confirmed OA in my left shoulder and in recent months my right shoulder has started becoming painful also. Most days my whole body aches and I’m just constantly in pain and feeling really down.

I constantly put on a happy face so others don’t know how bad it is, so I’m looking forward to chatting with others who know how this feels.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I don't bother with a happy face, I tell people that I am only happy when I am miserable! 😁 Seriously though with widespread OA in virtually every joint I know how it feels to be in constant pain despite taking relatively large doses of morphine and a lot of people on here are the same. Pain meds don't get rid of the pain, they merely knock the edges off and the primary way of combating it is to find something that you like doing - and can do - to try to distract yourself from the pain. There are loads of nice people on here and a fair few nutters too so jump in and chat away.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,622

Just a quick post to you @Nannyf

Have you checked in to see whether your hospital is back doing the cortisone injections yet? It has to be worth a try a lot of them are starting to do elective procedures again.

I can imagine it is not much fun at all trying to look after 3 children as a job when you are in pain. It's not the same as being in your own home looking after your own children and being in pain.

Best wishes

Ellen

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 25. Aug 2020, 22:58

I was diagnosed with severe OA in my hips in March. And the nHS has ground to a halt since then, so all I have is pain meds, no sign of the promised cortisone injection, let alone the new hip, and I win the prize for the worst limp in town when I struggle in for work or shopping. You have my sympathy. It really is pants. I hope your local NHS gets going soon, some seem to be getting sorted quicker than others, but meanwhile life is just a struggle, and I confess to getting really fed up with it sometimes, just trying to scrape together whatever I can salvage of my old life 🙁 Try to find new activities that are within your capabilities at the moment, anything to take your mind off your grumpy joints and bones, it really does help. Sending a gentle hug.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

If the children are becoming too much put them in a cupboard until you have had a rest! 😉

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Nannyf, welcome to the forum!

You are overdue for your cortisol injections, as well as having more joints now hurting and your pain is becoming more difficult.

We have a few suggestions on alternative ways of managing pai - try looking at this page:

You might also be able to self-refer to a physio now who could give you specific exercises to help your affected joints, the exercises can help with managing the pain caused, and the physio should be able top help you with exercises which work even with arthritis. Services are starting to become available again, so reminding your doctor that your here regularly may help get that injection again.

If you need to talk to someone our helpline team are wonderful and have a huge amount of experience with arthritis and how it can affect you both physically and mentally. They're open Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 8:00pm on 0800 5200 520.

I know how hard it can be to put on a happy face and try to look after the people around you when you really don't feel good inside. Try to do things for yourself, and admit to yourself even if no-one else how bad it is. Be kind to yourself and make allowances, so you can do the things you want to do. Being kind to yourself is the most important thing I've had to learn, and it's not easy at all - I still give myself unreasonable expectations and hide how I really feel from everyone around. I try to give myself some small space every day where I can be honest with myself and be kind, and I try to make allowances for myself so I'm not so overwhelmed all the time. Looking after your own mental health is just as important as anyone else's.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum and I'm sure you'll find some good conversations to join in!

Nice to meet you, 😊

Shell