Osteoarthritis in both feet

Options
Soccercrazy
Soccercrazy Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi

I'm a newbie. I have had Osteoarthritis in both feet since 2008 but only just in the last few months had it confirmed. The pain has been manageable with the help of meds, but lately it has not been very effective. I have been to the Pain Management Clinic and am currently trying new medication. 2 weeks ago my feet started hurting more than I can ever remember, the pain is excruciating, it mainly kicks off at night stopping my sleeping. Over the first 5 days when this first kicked off I had 1 and a half hours sleep (total) I have had x rays on both feet, acupuncture,homeopathy and osteopath. None have done a thing.I am at my wits end, over the last 2 weeks I have hardly slept and I mean about 10-12 hours sleep in total.I am very emotional,tired and in excruciating pain mainly at night but at times during the day.

That's my story in a nut shell.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Soccercrazy

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community.

I see you have just had Osteoarthritis confirmed in both feet and it is really affecting your sleep. I totally understand and sympathise with you it is so hard to cope with days when you are exhausted.

You don't say what your new medication is so I'm not sure if its one which might take a while to build up in your system and work.

I attach a link on the subject which may be of interest:

It might be worth your while posting in 'Living with Arthritis' as more members are likely to see it over there.

Best wishes

Ellen

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Ask your GP for a referral to a Podiatrist, failing that go onto your Health Authorities website as some areas allow self-referral.

• Soccercrazy
    Options

Thanks Ellen and Mike.

I was on Buprenorphine patches which worked great for a while only for me to have an allergic reaction. So then put on Buprenorpine tabs but was on them for quite a while and my body got used to them and hardly had any effect. I am on Amitripyline 10mg x 3 at night, plus Capsaicin cream 0.025% cream, used 4 times a day. My new medication is Gabapentine 100mg, 1 at night. I have just spoken to Dr who has said I can increase to 2 at night if after 3-5 days not working then increase to 3 at night. Plus take paracetamol 2 x 4 times a day apparently they will increase the effectiveness of the cream and the Gabapentine. I must admit I have not been taking paracetamol as when I have taken them they don't seem to affect me one way or the other, but given what the Dr said I will definitely take them regularly and that is if I can get them as they seem to be pretty scarce in the shops and restricted to on 2 boxes. My wife has osteoarthritis as well and she takes paracetamol, so that means we get through 16 a day.

I look at the link you gave Mike and taken on board several of the suggestions.

So summing up I do have contact still with the pain management clinic who are keeping in regular touch with me to see how prescribed meds are doing.

So here is hoping that the increased dosage of Gabapentine starts working, because I could really do with a good night's sleep.I think since this kicked off 2vweeks ago my total sleep only just reaches double figures.

Thanks again for your help guys

• Soccercrazy
    Options

Cool, thanks Mike will do.

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi Soccercrazy, just a quick thought on the paracetamol - it does combine well with other pain meds, so it's worth taking it and seeing. But if you're struggling to get it you can get a bigger box from a pharmacy over the counter (although still restricted in amount) but if it works for you you could ask the doctor to give you a prescription for more, which would allow you to have enough. This might actually cost more (I'd very highly suggest looking into the pre-paid prescription certificate if you have to pay for prescriptions) but it'd ensure you had enough. Doctors don't commonly give prescriptions for paracetamol as it's widely available, but if you're struggling to get enough they might make an exception.

• Soccercrazy
    Options

Hey Shell

Thanks for that, had not considered about asking Dr for prescription as I thought he would not do one for paracetamol. I'm 71 so I don't pay for prescriptions.