Why I Ended Up with OA!!!!

Any of you think about this....I have for many years....and I was first hit at 18!!!

I was a dancer from age of 12 and danced into my later 50's, loved to dance....

Ate a lot of sugars/carbs as mom cooked with these a lot and we ate too much.

I ate way too much candy as a kid and growing up....

Too too much sugar and dental work to prove that too.

I exercised a lot besides the years of dancing....

And it's genetic also, as mom and her sisters all had OA...and all cooked and loved their sweets and carbs..

So any of the above resonate with you all? I have made HUGE changes in my life but the damage has been

done....Good Thing I Had Lots of FUN......

Now it's all management at 82 onward...

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

There are several ways to acquire OA and I see you've listed some. I did it the easy way - once my RA had consumed all the synovial fluid in my joints it invited OA to come in and be its guest. Always an opportunist, OA obliged. However, like you, I've had fun and non, je ne regrette rien😀

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

It’s genetic in our family, but spending my spare time hauling myself up and down mountains, including in the Himalayas, really didn’t help. Riding a moped or horses in all weathers in my late teens gave my RAA a leg up, and rolling a kayak and too many concerts (with unrestrained dancing) left me with tinnitus. My eyesight was wrecked doing technical drawing, and the decline of my left leg started 25 years ago chasing after my bonkers cat.

But like you, at least I can say I had fun wrecking my body!