Where to even begin

lala1974
lala1974 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, I’m a newbie.

ive been suffering from sciatic pain in and off for 2 years. It stopped me from running which is my favourite form of exercise.

I went for an MRI scan on Saturday today and the Dr has called me and read out the report. I took in phrases like “spondylosis, narrowing spine, osteoarthritis, herniated disc and shrinkage as well as L1, L2 and L4”. He said he’s making an urgent referral to the musculoskeletal clinic?

I hung up and wondered what the hell just happened. I went because I had sciatica! He said that I can’t run but I couldn’t if I tried. So, I went for a walk this evening and suddenly thought “so, this numbness in my foot, pain in my bottom and shin pain is here to stay”?

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    edited 11. Sep 2020, 15:14

Hi and welcome,

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

About arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis

Find out more about the different conditions, treatments and how to manage your symptoms.

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi lala1974,

I'm sorry to hear such a big bombshell has been dropped on you. I can relate to how stunned you're feeling. A similar thing happened to me. Previously very fit and active, I'd had nagging pains for years which we'd been treating as bursitis or sciatica, but after an unremarkable fall followed by progressive severe pain increase, xrays found severe osteo arthritis in both hips. This was followed up with instant referal to MSK clinic, and recommendation for steroid injections and hip replacement, and meanwhile handfuls of painkillers to keep me going, but it's all I can do to walk to the village shop now. I had no idea this was coming.

It may take a while to get your head round this, but hopefully the appointment with the MSK clinic won't be too slow in coming, and they can start finding a pathway forward for you. Don't resign yourself just yet, there may be a lot they can do for you. My sister is due for surgery for sciatic pain due to spinal issues (sorry I don't know the details), which are stopping her even walking her little dog, but she is otherwise very active (she teaches aerobics) and hopes to be back to it again after surgery.

Hang on in there. Others on this site know how this feels, so keep posting if it helps.

• jonv6068
    jonv6068 Member Posts: 6

Hi,

Sorry to hear your news but I can relate to how you feel.

I have been into running and fitness for many years but earlier this year my back, knees and ankles started to get really sore and I had to stop doing all the exercise I really enjoyed.. Last week I was diagnosed with psoriac-arthritis so Im now having to come to terms with taking longterm medication and not being able to get back into running and having to find other forms of exercise which are managable.

I’ve been told there are lots of great treatments and medication out there so stay strong. Hope you get some treatment soon.

Keep posting if it helps.

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @jonv6068, welcome to the online community!

You used to be into fitness, especially running, but this year had to stop due to the onset of psoriatic arthritis in your back, knees and ankles.

Versus Arthritis has actually just launched a new campaign about moving and exercising with arthritis. It only started this week, so not everything is up yet, but I'd suggest looking up the Lets Move information - it may give you an idea of what exercise you can do or try out to get the same feeling you used to while still being kind to your body and taking your new circumstances into account:

I believe they are planning on having a you tube channel with different exercises too a little later.

In addition, here's some information which is a little more general but may be helpful:

The online community is a lovely place, the members are friendly and supportive. I hope you stick around and find more conversations to join in with.

Good to meet you,

Shell

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @lala1974

Blimey that sounded like a shock Just so you know I understand this very very well.

Since l was in my late teens I had periods of excruciating and debilitating back pain which would come.....and go so the Drs did nothing more then prescribe high doses of brufen (Ibuprofen) with no PPIs (proton pump inhibitors like lansoprazole/omeprazole) to protect my stomach. As a result l can't take them at all now. That's beside the point really sorry!

Finally at 39 it 'went' for the last time. This time I 'lost' my entire right leg. Totally dead wouldn't even take my weight. So MRI revealed a not dissimilar situation to yours except my Ls were lower down and 3 herniated discs. This time they took me seriously and I had surgery. At the time I was a single parent to two little girls 5 and 8.

Now back surgery was really tough. REALLY tough. By the time i had the operation - about 2 months after seeing the orthopaedic surgeon - some of the inflammation had settled and I could 'almost' feel some of my skin. My leg was also taking my weight a bit too.

The operation removed the discs and a fracture (where did that come from?) and welded me back together. For a while I felt back to square one pain wise, but l went back to work after about 9 weeks. I had no choice the kids needed feeding. Every night l was in bed by 8. I would say it took me 12 months to really get over the op. I saw improvement soner that that of course. The dead leg started to come back over time and that carried on improving for beyond the 2 years they cite. I am left with a numb side of foot and patch on bum cheek as well as behind the knee . Yes the ache in my buttocks is still there, but I can largely ignore it.

I do not regret one minute it was worth it 🙂 100%

Let's see what the musculoskeletal team come up with when you get there it may be that you can have some physio which will release whichever nerve is being trapped by your damaged spine, but if they suggest surgery do give it some thought. Nowadays they can do something with discs via keyhole which may well be all you need. Hopefully your problems may yet not be here to stay.

Sending you some ((()))