Osteoarthritis in feet and jogging...

Options

The tops of my feet started hurting as a teen, I'm now in my late 30s and a couple years ago was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. This summer has been great, barely any pain but a few days ago it showed up again. Not sure if it's due to the sudden drop in temp or the fact that I'd completed my first week of couch to 5k... Or indeed a bad timed combination! Ideally I'd like to know if jogging is good for my feet long term and I should just brave the pain or if it's bad long term and I should stick to walking and other lower impact exercises. Any advice greatly recieved!

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    Options

Hi and welcome,

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

About arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis

Find out more about the different conditions, treatments and how to manage your symptoms.

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

My bet would be that the sudden increase in activity has inflamed the issues in your feet. While targets for fitness are great, listen to your body. Pushing through pain is great when you're fit, but if you have osteo arthritis it's the wrong approach and will result in inflammation and worsening pain. I'd go back to square one, let your feet recover, and then start more gently and see what happens. If it kicks off again, this is the wrong type of exercise for you. Have a look at the links on this site for exercises suited to the various arthritis conditions, you may find it helpful in understanding why your body doesn't like what you're doing now.

• jaminhealth
    Options

I've done plenty of exercises in my 82 yrs and never ran....the running warriors are paying and I realized that years ago. The LA marathon goes past my residence and omg, the pain and discomfort on these people....be gentle with your body, it's telling you something with the pain. Probably best to wear feet supports....

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options

Boom and bust! We’ve all been there, doing too much then not allowing enough recovery time before doing it all over again, spiralling out of control. We must all learn our limits and act within them, you won’t do yourself any long term favours by acting as you are.

You might care to look at www.cloudywithachanceofpain.com to see how the weather affects us, it’s not the only trigger but is a significant one.

its a grin, honest!