Sudden pain in my knee

Options
bullen_s
bullen_s Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi last week I got up from chair and my right knee clicked and swelled up. I am in considerable pain and I contacted 111 who advised co-codomol over the counter and ibuprofen rub. After 2 days no better so contacted 111 again and was directed to Urgent Care Centre who prescribed 15mg codeine x 2 to be taken up to 4 times a day. After another 2 days with no improvement went to A & E saw another doctor examined me and said he believed it to be arthritus and to have x ray. My GP arranged x ray which I have not had the results of yet and increased the codeine to 30mg tablets and take 1 or 2 four times a day. I am now 9 days into this and cannot walk other than just around the house. I live alone and it is making me very anxious and panicking, not sleeping this is getting me down. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 5. Sep 2020, 12:02
    Options

Hi @bullen_s

Welcome to the forum,its great you have found us.

You say you have just been ti A&E and saw a Dr who said it might be Arthritis,and your GP had arranged and xray which you have had done but waiting for results.

Being on your own when you cannot get around does make you a bit panicky as you have no one to call on.

Waiting for results is another worry You don't say wether you have family or friends you can contact.

We have a helpline if you wish to call them it is 0800 5200 520.

Above is a link that may help

Hope all goes well for you please keep in touch and tell us how you got on.

Meanwhile talk to others on our forums the most popular being Living with Arthritis Chit Chat and vals café

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @bullen_s

Welcome to the Online Community, it’s great to have you here. Any sudden pain is very scary, especially when your knee clicked when you stood up - a perfectly normal activity.

Now you have to wait for results of your x-ray. That should set your mind at rest re a broken bone, and give a clue on osteoarthritis.

Heres our booklet on Arthritis in general

A good tip for swollen joints is to use a cold compress, a bag of frozen peas or similar wrapped in a towel and placed on the joint. Also when you are taking your tablets don’t wait for the pain to be severe, take them regularly throughout the day as directed on the box. Lastly be nice to yourself, take it easy, rest with your leg up and watch some tv or similar.

Dont forget to post in here to ask for advice and to get a bit of distraction from your worries for a few days until your results are in and you’ve had a chat with your GP

Take care

Yvonne x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hello @bullen_s

That sounds really scary especially if you live on your own. It will be almost all you think about with no-one distracting you 😕 Well I know it would be for me anyway.

Now I have a friend who's wife experienced something very similar. Luckily this lady had my friend to support her by fetching food and drinks etc, but she was terrified.

To cut to the chase the X-ray did finally come back (well actually in about a week) and showed quite severe arthritis. She got her GP to refer her to physio and got some crutches to help her mobilise easier and had some exercises to do. She saw an orthopaedic surgeon who advised surgery in her case. Obviously with COVID this hasn't happened yet as it all started for her early this year.

You might be better off with a walking frame of course, being on your own, with a tray - you can't carry a cup of tea with crutches can you😉

Some advice too regarding the Codeine is to drink a small glass of prune juice to keep you 'going' as it were. It's notorious for giving us constipation!

Keep in touch