Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Recent diagnosis of psoriatic-arthritis

Hello.

Im new here. Last week I was diagnosed with psoriatic-arthritis after suffering a sore back, knees and ankles for several months. Now having to come to terms with this diagnosis and what the future will bring. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Shell_HShell_H Posts: 142 mod

Hi @jonv6068, welcome to the online community!

You used to be into fitness, especially running, but this year had to stop due to the onset of psoriatic arthritis in your back, knees and ankles.

Versus Arthritis has actually just launched a new campaign about moving and exercising with arthritis. It only started this week, so not everything is up yet, but I'd suggest looking up the Lets Move information - it may give you an idea of what exercise you can do or try out to get the same feeling you used to while still being kind to your body and taking your new circumstances into account:

I believe they are planning on having a you tube channel with different exercises too a little later.

In addition, here's some information which is a little more general but may be helpful:

The online community is a lovely place, the members are friendly and supportive. I hope you stick around and find more conversations to join in with.

Good to meet you,

Shell

• Hello. I’m new here. I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis after suffering terrible pain in my hips, neck, wrists forearms and shoulders. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. For a few days this week, I have struggled with crippling fatigue. It makes me so low. Does anyone else suffer with this and has anyone got any tips to help? Does it ever get better?

• EllenEllen Posts: 281 mod

Hello @SuzieBlue

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community.

I see your diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) is a really recent one and you are feeling crippling fatigue. I wonder whether you are on any medication to get your disease under control yet? It can take many weeks for symptoms such as you describe to begin to subside once you are on the right treatment.

I am loathe to duplicate Shell's information in the post above and am sure you have already read the link and know what Psoriatic Arthritis is.

However this might be of interest to you it's about fatigue:

Do join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Hello @SuzieBlue,

My psoriatic-arthritis also gives me extreme fatigue. I’ve learnt not to fight it and to get plenty of rest including resting for a short periods throughout the day . I’ve also been trying to eat a very healthy diet and lose some weight and that seems to be help. My fatigue comes and goes so I would try not to worry too much as it may pass soon. I’ve also had to accept that my life has had to slow down and that seems to make things easier.

Hope you find a way of managing it soon. Let me know of anything you find helpful.

Jon