Work & OA

Options
Greys
Greys Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Diagnosed OA over 10yrs but suffered many years before ,I work as a Domiciliary Carer and now find it a struggle to get in & out of the car. I have 3 1/2 years to retirement & hope to continue working until then. I have looked into the Access to work scheme & the Wales driving & mobility assessment service . Wondered if anyone has advice or a similar problem.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Welcome @Greys

to the Versus Arthritis forum

I see that you have suffered from OA for many years and managed to continue working although with difficulty. Please find a link attached which you might find useful especially the section on Physically Demanding Jobs. This suggests that you might speak with your employer specifically about your condition and discuss different ways of managing ie flexible hours to conserve your energy, fewer heavy tasks.

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/52817/work-oa#latest

There are many members who have similar problems and who will be able to share their experiences with you. If you would like to speak with someone please call the Helpline Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 8.00p.m

0800 5200 520.

We look forward to hearing from you soon meanwhile please look elsewhere on the forum for lots of friendly advice and comment.

Best wishes

Jane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @Greys

Nice to meet you well-done for doing such a valuable job.

Have you looked into whether you are eligible for mobility component of Personal Independence Payment? Just if you qualified you might be able to get you car adapted. That's all.

There are adaptations you might be able to afford yourself to help you get in and out. Swivel seats is one that springs to mind and special handles to pull yourself up on.