Just looking for advice or similiar diagnosis

Options

A couple of months ago I was told I have degenerative disc height in the L4 & L5 vertebrae of my spine. Prior to this I knew this back pain felt different. It had been persistant for 4 months and the inability to walk properly after resting was scary to me. Painkillers havn't helped much and the physio I have seen recently has told me degeneration is normal and if I continue with physio I will be fine. I think it's because I'm in my 30s that he is talking to me like this. Although I'm only 3 days into my physio I don't feel any different. I have had blood tests that were negative for RA. Arthritis does run in my family as well as fibromyalgia. Should I push for an MRI? as i feel ive been left in limbo with a proper treatment plan and hearing conflicting views with whats actually going on with me. How have other people discovered what type of arthritis they have?

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    edited 9. Sep 2020, 13:35
    Options

Hi and welcome,

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    Options

Back problems are common. Back problems in this particular area very common. Consequently physiotherapists spend a great deal of their time treating them. If the physio believes that you will be fine after treatment what makes you think otherwise ? They will certainly have a plan for your management.

It can grab the attention somewhat when people talk of 'degeneration' but the ageing process is established by the time we enter our thirties so do not be alarmed. Do a quick web search (eg "incidence degenerative changes l4 l5") and you will see just how common.

I assume by 'only three days into my physio' you mean three treatments or are you on one of these intensive residential rehabilitation programmes ? Healing takes time (a process rather than an event) and I would not expect the results after three treatments to be particularly dramatic. Positive results are often somewhat subtle.

There are a wealth of pain management options available. Many people find TENS machines useful for back pain.

Arthur

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi NMurr, My physio gave me exercises for my hip which she said I had to do every day and would take up to 2 months to make a significant difference. 3 days is VERY early days to be depairing. As Arthur says, "healing is a process, not an event", Don't despair, keep going. Your body needs you to be kind and patient with it right now.

My GP wouldn't send me for xrays, scans etc, even when my physio suggested it, as she said it's just wear and tear, and is only worth doing if it's likely to reveal something that's treatable. If they sent everyone who was in pain for scans and xrays, the NHS would probably implode, so they're very selective about this process.

In my case it was only when my hip suddenly deteriorated after a fall, resulting in extreme pain and very limited mobility in the joint, that she sent me for xrays, which revealed very severe OA, and the treatment path started to be put into place (analgesia, MSK referral, steroid injections and eventually, new hip).

Have a bit more faith in your physio, he/she will have seen a lot of this, and will have seen a lot of people improving as a result of the treatment and exercise regime. There's no reason you shouldn't be one of those. Some things don't have a quick fix, so bear with the process.

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @Nmurr85,

I understand how frustrating it is to get a diagnosis. I've got arthritis in my knees, but my GP doesn't see the need to do any specific tests as it has not yet done more than cause me pain - I can still walk and get about, and while I do occasionally have flare ups where it's much worse, in general I'm "ok". So it's not worth it for the doctors to do any more. I'm 37, and I too have basically been told to exercise more to strengthen my muscles and that is my treatment plan - if the pain needs it I can take normal paracetamol / ibuprofen etc.

Following your physio's advice is really the best plan here. Strengthening your muscles around any weaker joints makes a huge difference in both how you feel and the long term prognosis for you. I'm afraid it's one of those things you must keep at for quite a time before you notice a difference. It also has quite a gradual effect, so often you wont notice the small changes happening until you stop and think a few months into it and remember how it felt before you started.

Here's a link to some information on back pain. It's very common for doctors to take a slow approach to diagnosis unless there is an immediate, urgent need.Back pain can often get better by itself given time and exercise / stretching, so the doctor is following the correct guidelines here I'm afraid. I know how frustrating this can be for us as the patient, but just stick with it.

I hope it does get better for you. Do come back and give us an update, and check out the rest of the online community and see if there are other conversations you'd like to join in on.

Shell

• Nmurr85
    Nmurr85 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you all for commenting. By 3 days into physio i mean I've done it 3 times a day for 3 days. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but i suppose its worry aswel as i have a 14 month old daughter which is upsetting when I struggle to lift her out of and into her cot. Also I get very agitated easily and break into hot sweats. I am going to stick with what the physio told me but felt like he was dismissive of what the doctor had said but like you've said they have probably seen it umpteen times before. As I have read on here though naproxen and paracetamol do not seem to help. I have also found the same. Nothing i have tried eases the stiffness and throbbing in my hip.

When I mentioned the family history of soft tissue issues in my family such as fibromyalgia to my doctor I suppose I expected a referral for an MRI but I understand that have to try the cheaper alternatives first as i assume these will be costly to the NHS. Again thanks for sharing your experiences I hope I'll be more mobile with exercise.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Three days really is just the very beginning of the healing process, so o,ease do persevere. If it makes you feel any better my physio says most people find it hard to keep it going, myself included, but it is SO important. As an example, my sister has had both of her knees replaced, but her surgeon said the outcome of her operation would be very poor unless she was diligent with her physio. So she pushed herself through it with almost military discipline, and the surgeon was really impressed with the range of movement in her new knees, and she was eventually able to go back to her job teaching aerobics, even horse riding.

Another thing I’ve learnt from people on this forum is how your pain levels can be affected by stress. It must be really tough for you trying to care for a little one when you're in pain, but try not to get too anxious about it, or try to find ways to be kind to yourself and your body to compensate - that “self-nurturing” can help (all to do with happy body chemicals that help your body to cope).

i hope this helps

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    edited 10. Sep 2020, 00:34
    Options

"When I mentioned the family history of soft tissue issues in my family such as fibromyalgia to my doctor I suppose I expected a referral for an MRI but I understand that have to try the cheaper alternatives first as i assume these will be costly to the NHS."

One significant difference between an x-ray and an MRI can be the degree of detail of the image. Often such a degree of detail is not necessary in order for the GP to form a working diagnosis sufficient to initiate treatment. There is also usually a wait of several weeks for a non urgent MRI and the cost is in the region of £800 versus £40.

Whilst many people will respond favourably to any non steroidal drug of which Naproxen is one, many people need to try others to find one that suits them. Fortunately there are a number of alternatives to Naproxen. Some people also find things such as TENS machines useful, particularly for pain in the lower back. There are also various creams and gels available without prescription.

You were quite right to mention your family history to your GP but it does not follow automatically that your current problem is related.

As someone who has, among other things, Ankylosing Spondylitis, you have my sympathy and I can certainly empathise.

Arthur