Hip Support

I saw a consultant at the start of March with a view to having a 2nd hip replacement or back surgery or both. He referred me for an MRI and some tests prior to seeing him again. Those never happened due to covid 19 and its not clear if or when they will take place. In the mean time the level of stiffness in my back when I move  worsens day by day. I am terribly immobile now  I am looking for some way of supporting the top of thigh groin and hip to limit pain when I move either a brace or a bandage that really works. I am not keen on high dosage painkillers as they affect my colon the ones with  codine make you very constipated

Does anyone know what will work

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Lotsofpain, I’ve answered on your other thread. Hope it helps.

• Hi Lotsofpain,

Thanks for posting on the helpline forum, I am sorry to hear you are still waiting for your surgery, it is such a difficult time for everyone, and is affecting so many people.

Some people do find that braces can be helpful. It could be a good idea to have a chat with a physiotherapist or even an occupational therapist to help recommend or get you the best equipment. If you aren’t already seeing one, you can ask your GP to refer you to see a physiotherapist.  Physiotherapy is an important part of treatment for most people with arthritis, who help you to resume or maintain an active and independent life both at home and work.

I speak to a lot of people who cannot take certain medications, due to the side effects, speak to your GP about a medication review, if your condition is Osteoarthritis (OA) ask for a prescription for Capsaicin cream, I have attached a link below with further information about the cream.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor