Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Help us improve our website, chatbot and online community
We’d love your help to improve our digital services. It’s important to us that our website, chatbot and online community continue to support and provide information people with arthritis in the right way. We’re excited to be doing research to understand more about what’s working for you and what’s not so we can continue to improve what we’re doing.
You don’t need to be familiar with our digital services or a digital native to take part. The research will take one hour and will be run by a research consultancy SnapOut. Simply fill in the survey below to get involved. Together, we can continue to do more for people living with arthritis.

Fill in this survey to take part

Tips on on how to exercise and support a very weak, stiff and painful left knee

patullosusan24patullosusan24 Posts: 2
edited 6. Oct 2020, 09:34 in Living with arthritis

Please answer that question I'm deparate for answers

Answers

• crinkly1crinkly1 Posts: 156

Hello patullosusan24

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a struggle with your knee. That must be miserable for you.

Because you describe it as 'weak' you will need to be extra careful not to cause damage to the soft tissues that are designed to support the knee joint so I would strongly suggest consulting a physiotherapist for expert advice before you embark on an exercise regime.

Your knee will then be fully assessed so you can begin at the right level of strengthening work without risk of creating more problems. Your GP Practice may be able to refer you to a local NHS Physio clinic or you may even be able to make a self-referral.

If your personal circumstances permit you should be able to find a private physio in your locality quite easily but make sure you ask about their fees before you book an appointment.

I do hope you can find help quickly and look forward to hearing how you get on.

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭
    edited 3. Oct 2020, 06:48
  • Shell_HShell_H Posts: 118 mod

Hi @patullosusan24 - try having a look at this page - there are some exercises here to try out which are specific for knee pain. It is important to make sure you exercise within your current ability, so maybe just do a little each day and work up to more very slowly. If it hurts, stop and try again later, maybe adapted to be a little easier as you work up.

You could also ask for a referral to a physio from your doctor - you may have to pay something (it varies on what is available in your area) but they would be able to give you personal advice as well as offer some support.