Hydrotherapy

Options
Andie
Andie Member Posts: 8

Hi everyone, this morning I went back to hydrotherapy and it felt great to be back. I was nervous because of covid but my body was suffering... In case anyone is apprehensive about it my hospitals set up was good. Only 3 of us in the pool, each had our own space of the pool. Our own equipment and laminated cards with the exercises on. Therapist wears a mask but patients dont have to. No cubicle or lockers, only curtained off areas with a bed to get changed. My back is screaming at me but it feels good to be able to move in water.

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    Options

Hi and welcome.

hydrotherapy seems to suit you but please do tell us a little about yourself.

Al

• Andie
    Options

Hi a bit about me. I am 48 years old. I am married with 3 adult children. I have fibromyalgia osteoarthritis and have severe neuropathy type symptoms. I have suffered with chronic pain since I was 16. I write a very personal and honest blog about my experiences. .Typing is difficult right now, so I do small bursts when I can.You can find me here.

Andie01322.wordpress.com

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi @Andie, I've been referred for this but as reopening the pool coincided with me getting back to work I haven't had a chance to take them up on this. Good to hear how they're managing it. Do you find it makes much difference for you?

• Andie
    Options

Hi @Lilymary sorry to hear this has coincided with work typical! I really do find it helps. Although all the alternative therapies we try are a temporary measure in easing our pain. My back was killing me but it felt necessary as my tolerance for exercise is very poor. I have 3 sessions booked at the moment and I'm not sure if I'll get the usual 6 sessions but it's a good start.

• Lilymary
    Options

Thanks, I should timetable it in. It's been a bit bonkers at work, but I need to make time for myself again. I've just done three days self isolating for a hospital appointment that got cancelled the night before, and am now doing the same again next week for the second appointment, so will see how I am after that. How much notice do you find you need to give?

• Andie
    Options

interesting you say that about isolating before appointments. I haven't been asked to do that. They just presented me with covid secure stuff and I had to agree. I was assessed by a physio and waited till I was called. I know it must be hard to find time for yourself. I hope things calm down at work for you x

• Lilymary
    Options

Hi @Andie, I only have to self isolate because they’re doing minor surgery (steroid injection), in my experience for general consultations they don’t require it

Work for me can be a good way to take my mind off the pain, but I did a few too many ladders and scaffolds the week before I had to isolate and have really paid for it since then. Once all this isolation stuff is over I will get in touch with the hydro therapy pool

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options

Hello @Andie

Lovely to meet you - I'm so glad your hydrotherapy helped you 🙂

You ought to post about it in the let's move category - so many here find exercises painful and hydro can be very helpful can't it?

• Andie
    Options

Hi @frogmorton Thank you. I thought this was the let's move category, it says it at the top of my screen?

I do find it painful at times but just being in warm water makes it easier to handle. Because I'm so deconditioned it was hard first session back. You are in control and do what you can. You can just float if you like.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

@Andie This is indeed the Let's Move category 😄

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options