Night time pain

Options

I have osteoarthritis in my hip and knee. I am on pain relief which helps through the day, however at night I am in severe pain and I never get a good night's sleep. Is there any medication to get me through the night

Much appreciated

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the community. Anything that deprives us of sleep is not good. From our advice pages there comes this:

which I hope will help.

Let us know how you get on. I have sent you a separate message on an admin matter. Reply via the included link if you want help.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @Dianesimmonds pleased to meet you 🙂

Lack of sleep is one of the real biggies l find. If you are exhausted it's so tough getting through the next day and the next afterwards. A vicious circle then 🙄

Now it's impossible I think to completely solve this issue, but you might be able to make it better. You will need to talk to your GP though because he/she might be able to help with medication. There are lots of options the easiest being to see if you can go on 'slow release' tablets instead of the ones which last 4 hours as then the pain can break through. My anti-inflams are 24 hour ones and I am also prescribed pain 'patches'? which last 7 days. There are other things too which relax the muscles.

Probably most useful though is to start with your sleeping in bed. Extra pillows places strategically can make a huge difference to how comfortable you are. I have one pillow between my knees and one for my shoulder(s)

Take care Diane and let us know how you get on