Alternative to steel toe caps and carbon safety shoes

This is a big concern for me, after have a toe fusion operation I am unable to wear safety shoes with steel or carbon.

Unfortunately 9/10 jobs require you to wear these shoes.

Been redundant since April 2020, and the only jobs ive ever done are those that require steel safety shoes. I have in the past worn normal trainers that look like safety shoes but if discovered i'm sent home. I had a job interview recently which looks promising, but of course safety shoes are necessary.

Can anyone give me pointers to an alternative solution.

Thank you

Comments

• Bobit
    Bobit Member Posts: 8

Update

Been offered the job, now to find a shoe that doesn't bring tears to my eyes.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,739

So pleased to hear you’ve been offered a job Bobit. I don’t have personal experience of your condition, but could you get some steel tipped safety boots that are a bit too big and pack around your toes?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,288

Going to PM @Bobit you I hope you get the message I have the solution.

• Bobit
    Bobit Member Posts: 8

Tried on a pair of skecher Grinnells priced around £70.00, felt really comfy compared to another shoe I tried.

Looks like that's what i'm goner go for and hope they wear well.

🙏

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,288

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorted @Bobit

Thanks for letting us know - might just help someone else in a similar position👍️

• MoWW
    MoWW Member Posts: 74

Glad to hear you found the Skechers safety shoes might fit the bill for you @Bobit I have in the past supported an employee who was required to wear safety shoes, the arthritis in her feet made wearing standard safety shoes an issue. She applied to Access to Work and was able to get customised shoes made to suit her. If you apply within six weeks of starting work your employer usually does not have to contribute to the cost, after this date they will have to pay a proportion of the cost. Your job coach should be able to give you advice Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Good luck with the job search

Mo