New National Lockdown from Thursday 5th November 2020

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

As confirmed by the Government yesterday another National Lockdown is to come into effect on the 5th November and this time around no shielding for the clinically vulnerable which does cause some concern to me.

During the first lockdown I was furloughed on health grounds from March to August. When I went back to work my firm (I work for solicitors as a secretary) implemented strict COVID 19 measures and to be honest I have felt very safe in my workplace however it cannot be 100% safe and there is still the risk that this dreadful virus can be brought into the workplace from outside. To us that are clinically vulnerable we are more at risk of contracting COVID and because of our suppressed immune systems we are more likely to become poorly and may require hospital intervention. Why was shielding not implemented for a second time to protect us?

Stay safe everyone

Karen 🐶

Comments

• silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131

As far as I’m aware they have said Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people should not go to work and work from home if they can, exercise daily, not mix with people etc, essentially shielding with exercise, as we were for the last month of shielding last time if I remember correctly.

Vulnerable people should follow the social distancing rules and be very careful as it’s deemed with newer evidence you would not be as badly affected as previously thought.

Correct me if I’m wrong but this is what I have read so far, we should know more Monday afternoon after it’s been debated in Parliament.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Glad to see that they have also banned people from staying anywhere other than their primary residence so we should not be getting all the second home owners, camping vans etc down here in Cornwall this time bringing the virus with them. Mind you the rules do not come into effect until Thursday and according to my baby sister who works in ASDA, there are loads down here already despite the PM mentioning that our one and only main hospital in Cornwall would be unable to cope in a few weeks. It is thanks to all those mindless people out there that this virus has spread as it has and caused this second lock down, if they do it again I can see this being extended to the New Year!

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

It doesn't matter what rules the government set. Some people will carry on doing exactly as they please, regardless of the danger they may cause to others.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I agree @Mike1 , you can’t get away from the fact that it’s spread person to person, so it’s people not paying attention to distancing, masks and hand hygiene that’s contributed so much to the spread. Blame the government all you like, but ultimately it’s down to us, the population, to keep it under control at street level. (Mind you, and fully functioning track and trace system would have helped, but nations who aren’t used to living in a totalitarian state are unlikely to be too comfortable with the idea!)

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 3. Nov 2020, 13:17

We are working hard to get the new advice on the restrictions coming into force in England on Thursday from the Government.

As soon as that happens we will be updating the links and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and arthritis page of the web site and I will be notifying the Online Community.

Note - New National Restrictions from 5 November - Government Guidance - England

• Constance
    Constance Member Posts: 37

It is good to see that we are all concerned about our health during this new lockdown. Hopefully we will not have too many health and mental issues while trying to get through the next month or so ahead. I am trying to focus on staying calm and being positive and looking forward to celebrating Christmas with my husband at home otherwise what else have we got to look forward to apart from Newcastle football games.😀😊😍

x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

There is a version of shielding happening. letters and emails have been arriving.

Hopefully it will help those like you @silverfoxxxx ?

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

During WWII, our parents and grandparents lived for 6 years with draconian restrictions on their freedoms and with hunger and death always a possibility. They did so for the common good.

Cannot we expect the same standard of behaviour today, or have we raised a generation of selfish and thoughtless individuals.

• frogmorton

To be fair @Tom we are very very lucky we have heating, lighting food and telly.

I'm not complaining about anything.

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

Just received today my letter from Department of Health and Social Care dated 4th November 2020 setting out "Important advice for you about new guidance for clinically extremely vulnerable people". States if I can't work from home then I should not go to work but stay at home until the end of this second lockdown.

I feel confused now as when the first lockdown ended we were told that it was safe to go back to work if the workplace was Covid secure and to avoid using public transport. I have been back at work now since the beginning of August and due to RA I have to keep my employer informed relating to my health issues. I know that once I show them the letter that I have received I will probably again be furloughed or placed on SSP until the 2nd December. Any thoughts please?

Keep safe everyone

Karen 🐶

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

Re, mental issues during this Covid era, the issues most people talk about are not clinical ‘mental ‘ issues, it is anxiety which is a much lesser form and not a clinically diagnosed condition. We all have anxiety which is a human, an everyday emotion.

Our emotions often, in our case, follow along behind our illness, which is completely natural, it’s completely natural as are the ups and downs of life which we can accept as normal.

To be clinically depressed is a heightened issue that may last a lifetime and diagnosed by a doctor, anxiety is a normal human emotion.

is a grin, honest!

• frogmorton

Hi @Kazza52

Tricky one this although I am sure it's not a legal obligation to show your employer your letter the GOV obviously think it's in your (or the NHS's) best interests if you do.

Is it not possible at all to work from home? Not great I can imagine to have to go on a lower income again when you were probably just starting to recover from last time.

You stay safe too

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

Thanks Toni. You stay safe too xx