CBD

Options

Hello all 👋🏻

My partner has osteoarthritis in both knees - one completely without cartilage and the other beginning to go the same way.

He has so far had 2 surgical "clean ups" in the main one and had 1 cortisone injection. These were about 2 years a go.

He also suffers with CFS and is on different medications for both issues. He has been told he will need a knee replacement however is too young to be put forward(!)

It has now got to the point where he is in agonising pain throughout the day and losing sleep too.

I've heard and tried reading about this CBD oil however without talking to a medical professional, I can't seem to find much info on it regarding interference with other medications, specifically Naproxen. I know CBD oil can offer anti-inflammatory elements and obviously don't want to cause my partner any further implications.

Has anyone been given any professional advice on this or are you using it yourself for the same reason? Have you found any issues with it? Or am I "jumping on a bandwagon"!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @Need_new_Knees and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I see that your partner has Osteoarthritis in both knees, suffers from CFS and is experiencing significant pain.

Regarding your query about CBD oil, I hope that the following helps:

Cannabis oil (CBD)

CBD is type of cannabinoid – a natural substance extracted from the cannabis plant and often mixed with an oil (such as coconut or hemp) to create CBD oil. It does not contain the psychoactive compound called tetrahydrocannabidiol (THC) which is associated with the feeling of being ‘high’.

Research in cannabinoids over the years suggests that they can be effective in treating certain types of chronic pain such as pain from nerve injury, but there is currently not enough evidence to support using cannabinoids in reducing musculoskeletal pain. We welcome further research to better understand its impact and are intently following developments internationally.

CBD oil can be legally bought as a food supplement in the UK from heath food shops and some pharmacies. However, CBD products are not licensed as a medicine for use in arthritis by MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority) or approved by NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) or the SMC (Scottish Medicines consortium).

We know anecdotally from some people with arthritis, that CBD has reduced their symptoms. If you’re considering using CBD to manage the pain of your arthritis, it’s important to remember it cannot replace your current medicines, and it may interact with them, so please do not stop/start taking anything without speaking to a healthcare professional.

This link to the main Versus Arthritis site has further information that you may find useful:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/march/complementary-treatments-and-arthritis-from-turmeric-to-cannabis-oil/

I’m sure that other forum members will be able to share their views and experiences.

If at any time you fell it would be useful then please do call our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520, or email helpline@versusarthritis.org (Mon - Fri 9:00am – 8:00pm) if you ever feel they could be of help.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Put CBD in the Search box at the top left hand corner of this page and it will bring up all the discussions on the subject on the forum.

• Crowtoad
    Crowtoad Member Posts: 7
    Options

I went on line about CBD and it can be very expensive for a tiny bottle. I think I saw one at over £40, which would only last about 28 days. There are some cheaper versions, but I suspect some could be "fakes". You have to be careful when you buy cheaper versions on line. If there was sufficient evidence to show that it would help your pain it would be worth paying for.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Hi @Crowtoad

You can buy it in Holland and Barrat (SP) might be safer and cheaper. I would be scared to buy stuff off the internet you never know what's in it do you?