Quick Introduction

Options
EllieMac229
EllieMac229 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi All.

Just like to say Thank You for accepting me on the Athritis site.

I've been living with OA along with degenerative disc disease, sciatica and recently fibromyalgia which I found that I had be diagnosed with five years ago which no-one had thought to inform me of. Plus a whole list of bits and pieces .Basically I'm an old croc...but hey ho I've gotta get on with my life and if I dont laugh at the situations I find myself in, I'll cry and if I start I might never stop.

My language has become choice! Good job there is no one to hear me only my dog I find swearing helps when you're in pain. Especially when trying to get up from the chair or off the floor when your knees give way and down you go! Or when you're busily engrossed in what you're doing like gardening. You decide to kneel then realise you're stuck! This has happened to me so many times my dog now knows to stand so I can steady myself to get up.....swearing of course.

Im looking forward to having some good chats on here. How you all cope. Possibly getting some pointers.

Mine is Pacing. You can do anything you want. Nothing is impossible but you have to be kind to yourself. It's not your fault how things have turned out with your body. But if you take your time ...do things in little chunks and you'll get there.

Take Care. Stay safe.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @EllieMac229 and welcome to the online community!

You have certainly been living with quite an assortment of painful conditions for quite a while, but it’s cheering to see that you haven’t lost your sense of humour! I have a similar story about getting down and getting stuck somewhere - I sat down on the cathedral steps in Lisbon and then had to ask two passers-by to get me to my feet! With your positive outlook on life, I’m sure you’ll fit right in with other online members. It’s a supportive community and it’s a great place to share experiences, funny and sad.

Gardening is a great way to keep healthy in body and mind, as you probably know. There are some tips in the Emotional Well-being page of Versus Arthritis webpage on making gardening easier that you might find useful:

Have a look at the different forums on the right and feel free to join in any discussions, or start one of your own - everyone is very friendly and welcoming.

Anna : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi @EllieMac229 I'm a great one for swearing at my joints too! Particularly when blundering about in the garden. Occasionally known to happen in company (oops).

I like your philosophy on pacing too. It frustrates the hell out of me as I used to be a 90mph type of person. Now I putter about misfiring on my one remaining cylinder most of the time. My OH still does all the things we used to do together, and much faster than I ever did, and I make myself not think about what I'm missing. Mostly it works, sometimes the regrets creep in, and like you, if I didn't laugh I'd cry all the time. I try to fill the gaps with decadence and indulgence. But it's not the same as being a free spirit.

I thought OA was all about pain. I didn't realise how much it drains you as well. Mind you, when I look at the side effects of all the drugs I'm on, every one of them says "will make you drowsy", so it's not that surprising really. Like you say, small steps will get you there eventually.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Hi EllieMac, I too have widespread OA, degenerative facet joint disease and numerous other problems which all conspire to severely limit what I can do. I live alone with a cat but she cannot provide the support I need to get off the floor when I find myself down there, I have to crawl to find something I can lever myself up onto and if the cat is around she thinks it is a game. Good to see that you are so positive, swearing and shouting have been scientifically proven to help with pain would you believe so keep it up! 😁