tramadol stops working?

Options
szocik
szocik Member Posts: 4
edited 4. Dec 2020, 14:30 in Living with arthritis

I recently increased tramadol to 200 mg mane / 200 mg nocte. It is very effective at this dose for my osteoarthritis.

My GP says opioids like tramadol stop working after a time.

Is he right? How long does it usually work for, before becoming ineffective?

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

A person taking tramadol and any other drug come to that regularly may become tolerant to its effects, meaning that the drug will no longer work at the same dosage, and more will need to be taken in order for it to be effective. This is called drug tolerance.

• szocik
    szocik Member Posts: 4
    Options

How many months or years on average can tramadol 400mg daily be expected to be effective? I am enjoying the temporary freedom from back pain and want it to continue as long as possible.

I understand I will have to do exercises every morning, but at the moment I'm not doing them because the tramadol by itself is sufficient.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I stopped taking Tramadol year ago as it was ineffective, I can't remember what dose I was on but every one is different. Some people get on well with it and it does the job; some need increasing doses and some don't. Unless anyone knows anything different I think that it is a case of "suck it and see"!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

I think it's a csae of us getting used to it @szocik

I took tramadol prior to and post back surgery it was pretty effective, but as soon as possible weaned myself off of it.

I don't think Drs are keen on giving us much long term.

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options

Most will have the same reaction to such drugs, it didn’t touch the sides from the word go with me. If you get to go on the Pain Clinic courses, they will spend a day telling you about such things and how they are meant for short term use only I.e. two weeks. Most GP’s prescribing them haven’t done the course yet, for the future these drugs will have stricter controls on them, that’s from the NHS.