Does dealing with rheumatoid arthritis get better over time ,

Options

Hey everyone I’m new on here. I’ve joined today, i’ve been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis since 2017 when I first got diagnosed and it hasn’t been easy, in my case everything happened so fast and unexpectedly. I would just like to know does it get better over time?

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    edited 5. Dec 2020, 14:17
    Options

Hi @abcxx

Welcome to the online community great to see you joining in with our chats

I see you have been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis since 2017 and when first diagnosed it wasn't easy for you as it is with all of us it is difficult to except it when you are first notified of your arthritis ,I have osteoarthritis for years now and had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement I am determent to not let it rule me if I can help it.

Here is our booklet on Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) which may have some useful advice or hints and tips for you

Hope all goes well with you,meanwhile why don't you visit our forums and chat with others it really can help.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

It certainly did for me.

I'm nearly 60 years in and, when I first got methotrexate my life improved immeasurably.

Apart from DMARDS, though, I think we just learn to cope better too. Acceptance of a certain level of pain, of things we can't change and of the need for boring physio exercises is a big part of that as also is determination to adapt and to cultivate the ability to say 'no' to some really desired activities and 'yes' to some undesired help. It's a huge learning curve but an interesting and, oddly, rewarding one.

Go easy on yourself. You'll have had a lot of unwelcome changes in a short time.

And, good luck👍️😀

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    edited 5. Dec 2020, 14:25
    Options

Hi @abcxx

Welcome from me too, It's great to meet you - I think you will be pleased you have found us. You need to post, maybe in Living with Arthritis with any queries or concerns or comments and we will be there to help you.

It does get easier, much easier, I didn't even know how to sort out my tablets when I started and now I feel I can post on here to help others.

Have a read of the booklet from @Chris_R I'm sure it will help loads.

I shall be looking out for your next posts very soon

Take care

Yvonne x

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options

I have had widespread OA for many years and was afflicted as a youngster, it is not a death sentence but the medical world can only help so far, the rest has to come from you. Yes, it does get easier to deal with but arther doesn’t take any prisoners and the condition does deteriorate.

pits a grin, honest!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 5. Dec 2020, 20:55
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @abcxx

I think we get better at coping with and managing our Arthritis.

For me it was also a shock i woke up stuck in position in bed in agony one day. Then I was on a roller-coaster for a while. My reaction was one of sheer panic. My life is over....I won't be able to do this/that or plan anything. I've ruined my husband's life/my children's etc etc

However once my medication regime was sorted and I grieved for the future I had anticipated I found things were actually not that bad. Not the same as before, but pretty good on the whole🙂

take care of yourself, be kind to you and keep talking that's my advice for what it's worth!

• abcxx
    abcxx Member Posts: 5
    Options

@frogmorton , i’ve tried a bunch of things, medication the hospital has prescribed for me it barely works so I’m still in the process of trying to find the right medication to maintain RA.

it’s worrying because it’s like how much more stuff do I have to go through to get to a place where I can cope with it better, but I try to stay positive

• abcxx
    abcxx Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you @Christian78 , i’ve tried water aerobics, Pilates which is similar to yoga. I have adapted with having RA sometimes reality just hits you out of nowhere.

I will get there slowly, as I say to everyone I have good days have bad days

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 6. Dec 2020, 19:10
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

I'm sorry @abcxx that it's taking so long to get the right medication combination for you. Unfortunately that can be the case for some of us.

It helps to keep talking. Here really is a good and safe place to chat to people who understand, won't judge and also won't be upset like our families and friends can be.

((()))