New to RA ... New to the group

Good evening all .. I'm very New to being diagnosed with RA however working in Health and Social care I'm very aware of how hard living with RA can be .. you might think this would be helpful, it really isn't. I've struggled since I was diagnosed in October when it happens to you its a whole world of emotions that I don't even know how to process. I can care for others but myself mmm not so good it would seem. Reading all your comments has been so helpful so thank you for sharing your stories they really are helpful.. I wasn't sure about joining but im glad I have.. its like finally admitting your diagnosis is real.

I would be really interested to hear how long it takes for the medication to work or show some signs its going to work .. ive been on methotrexate for just 8 weeks with Adcal D3 and prednisolone added in 8 daily whilst the swelling is bad .. does it really take 4 to 6 months to see any change?

Thank you for allowing me to join your page 🙏

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 8. Dec 2020, 11:47

Hi @clareconnor143 - have a welcome from me to the Online Community 😃

Accepting that we are unwell and need to look after ourselves is often a shock and admitting that we might need help is often difficult. This previous conversation may be of some help in letting you know that you are not alone! - https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/50425/accepting-this-disease

Methotrexate can take a while to start working, so it may be 3 to 12 weeks before you start to notice any difference, but you should still keep taking it. You should also carry on taking methotrexate if your symptoms improve or if you start to feel better. You may not experience any change for some months in terms of how you feel even though the drugs are indeed working.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and give support. Its a great place to drop in to say how you are feeling and to say how you are getting on - we all understand the feelings and emotions that go with arthritis.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Hi

Thank you so much for responding to my message .. its good to know there are others to talk to who understand and to gain some clarity from others who have been and are in the same situation.

I hope in time I will be able to be of support to others too.

Best Wishes

Clare