Hip Osteoarthritis and associated pain

Options

Hi,

Ive had Osteoarthritis of the hips for the last 4/5 years and have been managing the condition ok, however recently in the last 4/5 weeks I’ve been experiencing pain in my tailbone after sitting for long periods at my office desk, is this likely to be associated pain or should I get this checked? I am having further X-rays on my hips / pelvis in the next few weeks so if anything else is up, hopefully will show?

Thanks

Ray Hall

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @RAZ8581 I am very pleased to meet you and welcome yo to the Online Community.

I see you have Osteoarthritis in your hips and are now experiencing a 'new' pain in your tail bone. I am very pleased to hear you are having X-rays done to try to get to the cause of this. We aren't medically trained so can't say for sure whether this is your hips or something else, but some of our members may have had a similar experience to share with you.

I am attaching a leaflet on Hip Pain which might be of interest while you wait for our members to reply to you:

Best wishes

Ellen

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi RAZ8581

Thank you for posting on the Helpline forum. I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing increased pain at the base of your spine after sitting for long periods at your desk. As Ellen has said, it is good you will be having further X-rays soon. I am glad she has given you a link to our Versus Arthritis information on hip pain.

This pain may or may not be associated with the osteoarthritis (OA) in your hips and may be coming from your back? We are not medically trained. Yes, it would be wise to get it checked. It may also help to ask your doctor for a referral to a physiotherapist for an assessment and advice about posture, positioning and exercise.  

Having poor posture can have a negative impact on your joint health. It's important to stand and sit in the correct positions and not to remain in one position for too long, so that you don't put undue strain on muscles, ligaments and joints. Regular walks and stretches can do you the world of good.

If you have a desk-based job, it's important to have your desk, screen, chair and any other equipment set up correctly at the right height and position for you. A more suitable chair, lumbar support and footrest can help make a difference.

Our Versus Arthritis information on work includes tips for setting up a workstation, see link below. I have also given a link to our information on back pain. 

You are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 8pm if you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor 

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202
    Options

Hi raz I'm new to this as well I have arthritis in my hip and lower back and I've been having the same problem pain in my tail bone I am also wondering if it has anything to do with my hip or back but it's really painful and annoying hopefully it's nothing else to worry about for both of us I haven't been to my gp with it I was going to wait until my hospital appointment in January hope this helps xx

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 17. Dec 2020, 23:19
    Options

It may be that you’re sitting in an odd position without realising it, to protect your hip. I’d been doing this and my tail bone was getting really painful, till my physio gave me an inflated wedge cushion, which spreads your weight more evenly. I still have to adjust my posture from on time to time, but it’s much better

https://66fit.co.uk/products/66fit-inflatable-wedge-cushion-pump?variant=7672773247042&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3rzxsZPW7QIVgp7tCh3vLA2HEAQYAyABEgLq6fD_BwE