CHRISTMAS FREE FOR ALL?

Hi everyone,

As Christmas is fast approaching I thought I would share what has been going on in my area the last few weeks.

I live in the part of the Country that is now in tier 3 ( I live near Basildon and Southend). The last few days both Basildon and Southend Hospitals have been inundated with COVID cases and the death rates are unfortunately rising too.

When I went back to work at the beginning of August I became very strict on how I would deal with things. I park my car in the car park having ordered a season ticket online so I don't have to touch the meters, I just park and then go to my place of work which is COVID secure and then I come home again. I have not ventured into a supermarket and have online deliveries.

The worry now is that last Thursday in Southend the High Street was crammed full of people some not bothering to wear a mask and not surprisingly that is how the virus is rapidly spreading. The local Council has done nothing about it. Now allowing people to meet up Christmas is asking for more trouble. They will pass on the virus after Christmas, hospitals won't cope and us clinically vulnerable will be at the most risk. If it is a choice of Christmas or my health my health wins hands down. When we finally get rid of the Virus whether by vaccine, etc, that will be time to celebrate and make up for not meeting up this Christmas. Why would people want to risk their lives for a few hours of eating and drinking? People need to realise that we have social distancing, face mask wearing and washing hands to try and protect us. The selfish people who think they are immune to getting this virus and show total disregard should think how they would feel if one of their loved ones caught the virus and ended up seriously ill in hospital. We have to keep ourselves safe and also help the wonderful people in our hospitals who dedicate their daily lives to helping others. We need to protect them too.

Sorry if I am rambling but I feel very strongly about this as I am sure many others do too.

Stay safe everyone and let's hope that 2021 will be the year to finally see the back of Coronavirus.

Karen 🐶

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 19. Dec 2020, 22:51

The scientists were equally spooked by the recent spike, hence the new regulations. My heart goes out to all those who are going to find this emotionally hard to bear. But as Boris said, we have these new measures in place so that our grannies will still be there when all this is over,

My sympathies also to those whose surgery and medical consultations will be hit by this. We’re in this for the long haul, there’s still a lot of work to do, getting the vaccinations rolling, for the NHS supporting those who the virus hits, and us doing all we can to reduce the spread of this wretched virus. We’ve got through this before. We can do so for a bit longer, and the vaccine is on its way.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

It will still be just me and my cat!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Safety first @Mike1 I for one was RELIEVED at the new Christmas rules.🙂

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

My next door neighbour, who is in his 90s, has just tested positive. We supported them during the first lockdown but they decided to go it alone this time. He's fit for his age and isn't showing symptoms yet, but we'll be keeping a careful eye on them, from a distance.