Shielding/ schools

Can I ask peoples opinions, I'm still on the shielding list and living in a tier 4 area. Our primary schools are due to go back next week and arent included in the ones who are being delayed.

Are any of you shielding and have to send your primary school children back? I really don't feel comfortable with it.




  • Clt435
    Clt435 Member Posts: 2

    We're in the same situation - both myself and my husband are CEV but expected to send our eldest back to school on Tuesday. The situation feels v different from last time with C-19 rates now so much higher among the 4-9 age group, but I can see no reference to how the current shielding guidance takes that into account. We plan to call the school tomorrow but suspect we'll face a fine regardless of we decide to keep her out. This would be the first time we kept her out unilaterally but the context feels so different now with the new variant.

  • Clt435
    Clt435 Member Posts: 2

    We're in the same situation and not comfortable at all this time.

  • chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 677

    Hi @Clt435 and welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

    You are in a dilemma as to whether or not to send one of your children back to school next week with both you and your husband being CEV. There must be numerous parents in similar situations who are debating the best thing to do.

    I hope that you find any feedback received via our forum of assistance in making your decision.

    On a general note here is a link to our website that, whilst not providing direct advice on your current situation, my be useful to you in the future:

    Best Wishes

    ChrisB (Moderator)

    Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

    Hi everyone,

    I was notified by text last week to shield as I live in tier 4 (Essex). My employers have now put me back on furlough until further notice.

    On TV this morning they are talking about schools and whether they are safe to be open as parents, teachers, teaching unions have concerns about children mixing together in school.

    I feel very sorry for parents who have children and have to work but there is talk that parents with children who cannot go to school and whose parents work may be eligible to go onto the furlough scheme. This is being looked at by the Government. I do sincerely hope they do help the parents.

    Further restrictions are on their way to stop the spread of the virus. Is a national lockdown where everything closes going to happen?

    Stay safe everyone.

    Karen 🐶