Help please

Options
Pete2802
Pete2802 Member Posts: 6
edited 12. Jan 2021, 12:24 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with end-stage Arthritis in my Ankle following an accident 18 months ago and numerous operations. I'm 43 year old overweight male with a 2 month old and 18 month old. I've being listed for ankle fusion however with the current COVID crisis I doubt its going to happen anytime soon. I'm after any suggestions for pain relief, I'm currently taking 20+ tablets a day for pain relief and they arent helping making day to day life near impossible. I've been trialling a number of different nerve suppressants but none have helped and I was previously on Opiod medication for over 12 months, I've not been able to find anything that helps with the pain relief.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

You need to speak with your GP, there are many, many different meds available which all have differing effects and work differently with different people. I have tried them all over the years and am left with ever increasing doses of morphine BUT I have never found anything that gets rid of the pain, merely knocks the edge off.

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Hi @Pete2802

Welcome to the Online Community Forum. Fingers crossed now they are dishing out the vaccine they can start to get all the other operations back on the lists again.

What has your consultant suggested?

I have attached a link on how to manage pain at home. I'm not sure if you can find anything there?

Coronavirus and how to manage your pain at home (versusarthritis.org)

How did you find the Opioid medication when you were taking it??

Please don't forget about the other forums that are on here. Maybe someone has gone through or is going through the exact same experience as you and you can find some comfort in speaking to them about it.

Feel free to come back and write on the forums whenever you like. We are always here.

Take Care and Stay Safe

AJ_x

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Pete2802

Just responding with another link 😐️

Exercises you might try to help - the stronger and more exercised the foot is, the easier it will be for surgery and recovery afterwards. These are gentle exercises that you can try and they may even help a little with pain management.

Please do consult your GP. Keeping a pain diary may also help when it comes to needing supporting evidence in the discussion and shows a record of how things change over time.

Do join in across the Community and also let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Pete2802
    Options

Thanks AJ for the response, my consultant has put me forward for Ankle Arthrodesis which is my only option now. At one stage I was on a frequent dose of opiods (Oxycodone Hydrochloride) but was asked to reduce it due to long term effects. This helped me a great deal in the past, I did become dependent but managed to get off it after reducing the dose over a few months. Personally I think its NHS cutting costs as they arent keen on me having any controlled drugs. I just need something to take the edge off whilst I wait for my operation, which could be many months now.

• Pete2802
    Options

Thanks Mike, I've trialled a few medications so far but none have been as effective as the opiods (Oxycodone Hydrochloride). My GP wanted me off it which is a shame as since then some 5 months ago my pain hasn't been under control :-(

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

This is going to sound so feeble @Pete2802 but have you tried a warm wheatbag around your ankle? You know the kind you stick in the microwave?

Also a teens machine?

I know these aren't answers long-term, but i'm just hoping you can get through till COVID is over (or at least under control) and you can ask for your surgery again and maybe get it.

Take care

• Pete2802
    Options

Thank you for the reply, I've tried both yes and both do provide short term comfort. I used my microwavable gel heatpad 10+ times yesterday! I'm also taking Tuneric as ive heard its good for joints.

Thanks again

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Yes comfort is the word for it. I have heard about Turmeric too, but never tried it. Be interested to hear if it helps.

BTW I did mean a tens not teens machine!!!

Take care

• Pete2802
    Options

I Cant really say if Tuneric is helping given all the other medication I'm on but I've heard nothing but good reviews on it. Haha yeah I knew what you meant 😉.

Thanks 👍

• Saltmarsh
    Saltmarsh Member Posts: 42
    Options

This might sound unsympathetic, though it certainly isn't, as it affects me + many others too: The biggest thing we can do for ourselves is to keep our weight down, to take the strain off the joints. Not easy, especially during lockdown - though maybe here the joys of busy family life are on your side, the joys of two toddlers, phew! We all need pain relief of various sorts, a mix of trial & error + stoicism, but sadly there is no substitute for simply eating less & exercising more to lose weight... Versus Arthritis has much help to offer in the way of suitable exercises. Good luck, dear Pete.