Use of hydroxychloroqine

Options

Hello

I was diagnosed with RA about 18 years ago and during this time I have taken a good few mediations - Methotrexate, prednisolone, cyclophosphamide, methyl predisolone, various painkillers - paracetamol/pain patches/oramorth etc.

My situation is complicated with vasculitis & neuropathy in hands & feet & I have been told by various consultants that these additional complaints could have been caused as side-effects from strong medications. I also have a typical low white cell count (Felty's Syndrome)

Because of my fear of medications I stopped everything and have to say I do feel better for this in many respects, but there is obvious damage and bone deviation in hands & feet which is challenging.

I have recently moved to a new area and my new consultant has suggested a low dose of hydroxychloroquine to stem further damage.

My question is - have people found that hyroxychloroqine has helped their RA and has anyone experienced untoward side-effects which has made them stop taking it or affected their bloods adversly? And anything else that I should know before starting.

Many thanks

Janet

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Janet77 and welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

I see that you have had RA for quite some time and have been prescribed numerous medications over this time. In addition you have incurred further conditions which have influenced your decision to stop taking medications. It is now being suggested that you try hydroxychloroquine.

Hopefully there will be other forum members who can share their experiences with hydroxychloroquine including any side effects.

In case you haven’t visited our website you may this information relevant:

In addition, this link is more specific as regards the side effects and risks associated with hydroxychloroquine:

I hope that you receive some useful input from members.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Hi @Janet77

Good to meet you.

I have taken hydroxy for many years. It is one of the milder Disease Modifying anti Rheumatic drugs so less likely to affect us. adversely.

The main thing is to have your eyes tested regularly with it. Also it did give my an iffy belly to start with, but i soon got used to it by taking it during a meal.

Take care

• Janet77
    Janet77 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Toni

Thank you very much for your reply - very helpful

Love

Janet