Pain after showering

Does anyone else's pain and stiffness gets worse after taking a shower or bath?

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Only because it means getting into abnormal positions to wash my feet, climb in and out of the bath etc. It pulls on bits I normally try to protect in daily life.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Following an OT home assessment a few years ago I had a wet room installed complete with raised loo, safety rails etc and a seat in the shower. In addition I have purchased a couple of washing aids which are basically pads on the end of sticks which are bent at different angles so even sitting I can wash my back and feet without struggling.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I think most of us (well me!!) find that the warmth of a shower/bath helps a bit, but wonder if the pain is because of what Mike and Lilymary are saying the actual pain you are getting from washing and drying yourself as well as the actual getting in and out of the shower/bath?

@Sandy1964 is it worth you taking Mike's advice and making your bathing more accessible ?

Take care

• Sandy1964
    Sandy1964 Member Posts: 13

Thanks for your comments back in September last year I had adult social care assessment and they referred me to OT for home assessment. What with COVID I still have not heard anything I think it could be the standing causing the pain and stiffness as for drying I have brought myself a drying robe so all I do is put it on and wait till I am dry.

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 26

Hi Sandy, I know exactly what you mean. After I’ve had a shower I need a rest and a sit down! I like idea of a drying robe, I’ll have to look into that.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

A drying robe is merely a towelling or microfibre dressing gown, it won't get into the folds of the nether regions though!

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

Might the issue be a cold bathroom and your joints dislike the temperature? It could be compounded by drafty windows, the weather or even the time taken to get dressed afterwards?

it’s a grin, honest!