Esr levels normal


hi folks just out of my gp surgery ad to get steroid injection in my sholder due to inflammation and pain i have had a few ongoing isuses with swelling lately including sleritis of the high they recommended i go to a private rhuematoligist but she said my esr le vels are normal ??

I have promblems with my right hand and arm swelling and my left eye .

should i go for a private consiltation ???


  • chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 691

    Hi @AMac

    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. 

    You have an inflamed shoulder, your right hand and arm swell up plus you have Scleritis of the eye. Reading between the lines, because your ESR levels are normal, your GP has not referred you within the NHS but has suggested you see a private Rheumatologist. 

    Hopefully there will be other forum members who have been through the same dilemma of whether or not to go private and can provide you with some advice. 

    In addition, the following links to information on our website may be of use to you: 



    I hope that you receive some useful feedback that helps with your decision as to how to proceed. 

    Best Wishes

    ChrisB (Moderator)

    Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,492

    Hi @AMac

    Has your GP suggested you go private to see a Rheumatologist or has he/she said they won't refer you? Is that because they need raised ESR to refer maybe🤔

    Well either way if you can afford it and want an opinion I think you have every right to go private for an opinion. I had to see a surgeon privately once years ago for my back I was in so much trouble. I got the opinion and had the tests after that he referred me back to the NHS for treatment as I didn't have private healthcare insurance Cost me about £200 for the consultation if i remember rightly.

    I don't regret it.

    Let us know what you decide to do.