Hey everyone

Popinjay
Popinjay Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

So...my story. I'm 44, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis about 15 years ago after years of back pain. Turns out I had lost the cartilage in my thoracic spinal region...anyway lots of scans and drugs and pain clinics and injections later, it's more or less manageable.

However recently the pain is getting worse and has spread to my hips and knees. Weirdly my index finger joint as well. I'm seeing the rheumatologist this week after being referred by my GP and having (inconclusive) blood tests.

I suppose I'm mostly scared that if it gets much worse that I won't be able to work and look after my family.

Anyway, hello everyone :-)

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Popinjay and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. 

I note that you were diagnosed with OA of the thoracic spinal region some time ago and that you have been able to manage the condition since with the help of scans, injections, etc. More recently the OA has spread and you’re understandably concerned that this might affect your ability to work in the future. 

I too have OA of the spine, albeit less advanced than your own, but one of the common symptoms of OA is for it to affect your index fingers which can be extremely sore. Anyway, I’m sure that there will be other forum members who will be able to offer you advice based upon their own experiences of having been faced with a situation similar to your own. 

On our website there is a huge amount of information on OA some of which may be useful to you: 

I hope that you receive feedback from the forum that helps you moving forward positively and that your rheumatologist appointment leads to a favourable outcome. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Popinjay

Nice to meet you.

I also have a naff back 🙄 had problems with mine from late teens and finally had to have surgery at 39 as I 'lost' one of my legs completely and the consultant said I would end up in a chair if i didn't. I understand your pain totally your back is key to all movement isn't it from using the loo to sneezing🙄

The problem might be that your back is causing you to walk 'wrong' which might put pressure on other joints or there could be something else going on so it's good that your GP is referring you for an opinion form rheumatology.

I hope it is possible for you to continue to work and provide for your family while they need you to, but finding out what is wrong and the prognosis will help, The unknown is always worse

Take care