Back pain

Options
Gentry
Gentry Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello my name is tracy, I've had back pain on and off since I was 17 , and 6 years ago I developed severe neck pain that affects my arms , and 2 years ago the back pain came and never left , I took over the counter meds for the pain until last year when I woke up to severe hip pain , when I had an X-ray my gp told me I had a weird chip in my hip and that he would de a referral for me and send some codiene to my pharmacy and hung up , a few weeks later I called my gp again as still had the pain , and spoke to someone else who informed me I had arthritis in my hip , and put me on naproxen , I eventually got my hospital appointment and had another X-ray and the consultant told me I need both hips replaced urgently as have no cartilage left at all , that was 9 months ago , i recently spoke to my gp again about the lower back pain to another gp who told me I've got arthritis in my neck and lower spine and both knees , I've been off work for a week with severe back and hip pain when I put my right foot forward I'm getting a jolt go though my hip straight up my back sending it in to spasm , I'm feeling very low and my boss seems very annoyed I'm not at work , told me to take paracetamol and wasn't happy with my sick note as it only stated back pain , feel stressed out enough without my boss making me feel guilty, I was wondering if anyone else is feeling stressed with with and arthritis?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @Gentry Tracy. Welcome to the Online Community. It sounds as though you have had a tough time with what I understand is Osteoarthritis.

Many of our member also have osteoarthritis so I am certain you will get plenty of support from them, but while you are waiting to hear from them I am attaching a couple of links for you to read. This one is about Osteoarthritis apologies if you know most of this: Osteoarthritis (OA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

This one is about Work because I see you are feeling guilty that you aren't able to be in work at the moment and fear your employer isn't happy with your sick note. Do read this information because some of it is very relevant to you: Osteoarthritis (OA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Working, if we can manage to, is so good for our mental health and well being so well-done for keeping at it.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Hannahbee92
    Hannahbee92 Member Posts: 3
    edited 10. Feb 2021, 12:30
    Options

I’m not sure if this will help. I have rheumatoid and my constant worst flare has been my shoulders. I was talking to an occupational therapist in America and she had a infrared heat pad. I found the British version and it’s helped my pain so much. Works better then hot water bottles or electric blankets they’re a little pricey but occasionally you can a second hand one