medication

Options
Shazza65
Shazza65 Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I am newly diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I was given sulfasalazine, this made me really ill. I have now been asked to read and divide which one to try next.

Methotrexate or Hydroxychloroquine

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Good Morning @Shazza65

Welcome to the Online Community Forum. It is so good that you have joined us.

Being newly diagnosed must have been a great shock, and now with all of the different medication that they are asking you to choose from I bet your head is about to explode. Well, you have come to the right place so you can hopefully decide with one out of Methotrexate or Hydroxychloroquine 😀

I have attached some links from the Versus arthritis website to do with Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine

Methotrexate | Side-effects, uses, time to work (versusarthritis.org)

Hydroxychloroquine | Side-effects, uses, time to work (versusarthritis.org)

Also have a look around the other forums you might find someone that is in or has been in the same situation as you.

Hope you manage to make a decision. Personally, I am taking both of them and have done for years and have had no side effects, whereas the sulfasalazine I got side effects as well.

Please come back and let us know what you decided and how you get on.

Stay Safe

AJ_x

• Shazza65
    Shazza65 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thank you AJ_X I have read the links you sent and spoke to my nurse today. She is gonna try me on hydroxychloroquine see how I get on with that one. I will come back and let people no how I get on xx