RA and exercise

Options

Hi all, I was diagnosed with RA a few months ago and am looking to connect with people who are going through similar experiences.

The biggest challenge I'm finding at the moment is exercise...I was told by my consultant I could go back to working out like I used to (5 times a week and doing hikes at the weekend), but currently I can do one 35 minute workout and pay for it, especially in my shoulders, for the next couple of days.

Does anyone else experience anything like this? What do you do to work around this/what exercises do you feel work best but still give you a good workout? I know I've become really deconditioned (is that a word?!) from not having done any exercise while I was in a really bad flare-up before my diagnosis, so I know I need to get back on it, as I'm really not in good shape anymore, but don't really know how. I'm also terrified of causing more damage/going back to how I was before I started my treatment.

Sorry, that was a really long post, but I don't really have many people to talk to about this, so I would really appreciate any advice you have 😊

Thanks, and nice to meet you all!

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Good after @amyrob

I am pleased that you have joined us at the Online Community Forum. I agree exercise is the biggest challenge with you have RA. However, we do have a Let's Move Forum with is in "Living with Arthritis"

The person that manages the Let's move programme is absolutely fantastic. The amount of people that have signed up (for free) when they didn't think they would be able to do any exercise again. It doesn't matter what Arthritis you have or what your mobility is you are welcome on the forum.

Let's Move — Versus Arthritis

Hope you are able to get some exercises to suit you. Please also take a look around the other forums I'm sure there will be lots of people willing to talk and offer advice.

Stay Safe

AJ_x