Flare ups

I'm currently going through a flare up and it's nothing like I expected , I thought it would be like over doing it in the gym and pain would go away after a couple of days or with paracetamol, this is my second week of chronic pain , I have osteoarthritis in my spine and both hips and knees, since this flare up I'm noticing the pains in my feet and hands , doctor telling me to see the psysiotherapist and just giving me pain killers , how long do flare ups last ?

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 5. Feb 2021, 18:43

Hi @Gentry

Welcome to the online community it is great that you have discoved us.

You say that you are going through a flare up at the moment and are in chronic pain especially in your feet and hands.

Here are a few links that may help.

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Flare up — Versus Arthritis

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the foot and ankle | Versus Arthritis

Hope these links do help please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and just go to our forums and chat to others it often helps.Everyone is very friendly and understanding.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Tish87
    Tish87 Member Posts: 25

I’m afraid to say it’s impossible to tell how long a flare up will last :(

im also going through a flare up after having my son and he’s a year old on Wednesday! A whole year and it’s still not under control but thankfully the medication is finally starting to kick in.

have u contacted ur GP or consultant to ask for pain relief? My GP only offered cocodamol which didn’t touch my pain and it wasn’t until I fell and hurt my back that I was given tramadol that I got slight relief, discuss it with my consultant and they suggested the slow release tramadol so it’s just one tablet in the morning and one in the evening. Definitely talk to ur consultant too cus they might even suggest a course of steroids to try and get the flare under control too!

ill keep my fingers crossed that things ease up for u soon as flares are hateful! Keep stong!! 💪

• Gentry
    Gentry Member Posts: 5

Thank you tish87 x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @Gentry

Have you thought about checking in with your Dr given some of your symptoms are new?

I expect you are loathe to do so at the moment with the extra pressure the NHS is under, but your Dr doesn't know about your hands and feet. Might want blood tests/xrays🤔at least it on your file

Take care ((()))

• Gentry
    Gentry Member Posts: 5

Yes I've been in touch with my gp and having some blood test done hopefully tomorrow, and changed my meds to codiene , only just started them today and they make me feel sleepy , but taken the edge of the pain