OA at 48 in pain lower back moderate change to lumbar

Options

Hi have had lower back pain in and off for a few years. Finally diagnosed via X-ray with OA in lower back with moderate change to lumbar. I’m awaiting physio (25 on list). The last year or so It’s made me less and less mobile (can’t get hand much lower than knees when bending forward). I’m not a great swimmer at all and pools shut anyway. Desperate to start exercising as am gaining weight even basic yoga classes I’m struggling with lack of exercise making me lethargic would love to run cycle and do exercise classes - any recommendations from anyone with similar diagnosis? Thank you

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @Jd7272 and welcome to the forum.

So you're currently waiting on physiotherapy for OA in your lower back and struggling with the lack of exercising opportunities at the moment.

I understand how difficult it can be to be waiting for a nhs service, especially with what has been going on over the last year. Being unable to join exercise classes must be very frustrating.

Below are a couple of links to areas on the main Versus Arthritis site that you may find helpful. Versus Arthritis are currently running their own exercising programme with a young man called Leon and his mum which you may find interesting. Its a completely free programme and is really worth having a look at.

I hope these are of some help to you but please also feel free to join in on any forum discussion topics and get involved. We are a friendly bunch here and always looking to meet and chat with new people.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Cycling, using my 7 speed electric assist bike is a great help, I’ve just clocked up 450 miles on it. I even cycle uphill to get home😁. Exercise to my spine helps. My massage gun keeps my muscles from getting all knotted up and pulling on my spinal processes unevenly which can cause a lot of pain. My OH makes different sized and shaped wheat bags for me which are a big help when heated up.

I too have tried yoga but had to stop after it made things worse with the bending and stretching.

its a grin, honest!