Just saying hello!

Options
Lydia10
Lydia10 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello all! I’m 24 and have had JIA since the age of 14 I only get random flare ups every few months. I’ve also had no major flair ups for about 2 years (hoped I’d grown out of it!), I went to uni and then some how got lost in the system. But for the past 2 months this flare up has been one of the worst I’ve had, so am now waiting for a referral, but due to COVID-19 everything is being delayed for months, I usually have injections of steroids but have to wait several months for this, even though some days I cannot walk. And although it only affects my knees, this affects a lot of every day life when it does flare up. I currently work as carer so need to be on my feet all the time, and feel very guilty to ask for help at work as there is such a high work load on everyone already because of funding and COVID.

I just generally wondered if there is any advice for people relating to mental health, and how to stay positive when you feel like you cannot do anything you enjoy when these are the years I’m meant to be the most enjoying! or I need to do to pay for the bills as we only get £90 sick pay a week.

It’s also really nice seeing lots of other young peoples stories! As I feel not many understand what it’s like and I’ve never met anyone with my condition at my age, so I feel less alone just being on here!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hallo Lydia, welcome to the online community.

You have lived with JIA for the last ten years and usually cope with flare ups with occasional injections but are struggling some days when you cannot walk your knees feel so painful. We all have days of struggle and have to call on our inner resources to keep us positive.

I am attaching two links that you might find helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/may/meditation-and-mindfulnes https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2021/january/how-to-stay-motivated-;

You should not feel guilty about time off work, your job as a carer is both physically and emotionally demanding and you need to take time for yourself when your body is telling you to rest. The life / work balance is always difficult to find and I hope that now you have found the online community you will be able to enjoy the friendships and activities we all value so much.

The Young People and Family Service have a lively forum for the exchange of ideas and experiences and have recently launched the "tracker" which is proving very popular.https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/may/our-arthritis-tracker-app-h

I see you have already accessed some of the young peoples' stories, so never feel you are alone, you have joined a great group of friends.

We look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes

Poppyjane ( Moderator )

)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.