Hi

Options
Graeme1357
Graeme1357 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi my name is Graeme, I'm 64 next month

I was told about 3yr ago i had osteoarthritis in my elbow and knee. It gradually got worse and now its both shoulders, elbows, hands and knees. I started getting cortisone injections in my knees and all my joints immediately improved till i needed another injection. Covid came and i couldn't get injections. For the last 6 months ive been in agony. Painkillers helped a bit but naproxen nor ibuprofen didn't. In December 2020 i was given prednisolone for diahhrea i'd had for 3 months and immediately i felt brilliant, the best ever. I read about it and if you have osteoarthritis prednisolone is not recommended as it doesnt help. I spoke to my doctor and he was surprised, so he's recommended me to the rheumatology department. I wonder if its Polymyalgia. Has this happened to anyone. Im struggling to cope

Regards

Graeme

(Edited to remove surname - Bryn / Admin) 😃

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Morning Graeme1357

I am pleased that they finally managed to find something that has eased your pain. Who was it that gave you the Prednisolone?

I must admit this COVID has a lot to answer for. It has stopped a lot of people from getting quite a lot of things, however, if you had carried on having the injections you would never have been being referred to a Rheumatologist. I know it is difficult to take in but sometimes you have to look at the positives of what has come out of a bad situation. The journey may be long but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have attached the link for the Helpline Forum so you can chat to someone about how you are feeling.

Chat to our Helpline Team — Versus Arthritis

I have also attached the link from the Versus Arthritis Website on Polymyalgia.

Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Looking forward to seeing you on other forums and also finding out what the Rheumatologist says.

Stay Safe

AJ_x

• Graeme1357
    Options

A nurse practitioner gave me prednisolone but I've to watch with steroids as it effects my diabetic bloods. When I got my knee injection my blood sugars trebled. It says on nhs site prednisolone shouldn't be given for osteoarthritis as it doesn't work which makes me think its Rheumatoid or polymyalgia