New member saying hello and looking for advice on footwear

DavidW
DavidW Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

Been suffering with O.A. in various parts of my body for decades. Recently my big toe has become incredibly painful when walking to the point of restricting my lifestyle. Been to the GP and had xray which confirmed it and had a steroid injection a few days ago. Some improvement but too early to tell properly. But I have realised my best way forward is to get some better footwear and maybe cushioned inserts. Done some research and I think the answer is rigid soles and plenty of room in the toe box. Obviously I can't do anything about trying any on with the lockdown but can do some research. I wondered if anyone has any advice on where to get decent walking/hiking boots and everyday shoes to help my condition. Any particular brand recommended? Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance. David

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @DavidW It's good to meet you and welcome you to the Online Community.

I see you have had Osteoarthritis for a long time, but you are struggling with pain in your big toe. Comfortable footwear is a fairly regular subject here as you can imagine. While you are waiting for our members to reply I am attaching a couple of links for you to look at.

This first one is a recent thread How to cope with the pain in my feet — Versus Arthritis

and this information is about footwear Footcare and footwear | Versus Arthritis

I hope you are able to find some footwear which helps you.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

You need to ask your GP for a referral to a Podiatrist, they will be able to advise on the best footwear/insoles after looking at the xrays and examining your feet. They may also be able to provide footwear and insoles and, if necessary, they can arrange for made to measure footwear. Check out your Health Authorities website as you may be able to self-refer.

• DavidW
    DavidW Member Posts: 3
    edited 18. Feb 2021, 17:22

Thanks Mike. I have a telephone appointment in a few weeks with the Musculo-skeletal department to review the effects of the steroid injection so I will ask them if I can have orthotic insoles made then see what they say about boots or shoes.