How do I ensure a smooth transition when switching NHS trusts due to a house move?


In 2015, last time I moved house (and therefore registered with a new GP in a different healthy trust) the funding for my Humira was withdrawn and I spent six months going through the entire process again, suffering several significant AS flares and the resulting degeneration in my spine in the meantime. I have now moved again and am terrified to register with a new GP in case the same thing happens again. I'd be grateful for any advice on how to ensure a smooth transition?


  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628

    Hello @Crin88

    Welcome to the Online community I can totally understand your concern after your previous experience of a house move caused you so much difficulty.

    I can see you are after advice from our helpline team who will be along soon.

    In the meantime do feel free to have a look around the forum and join in if you want to you are sure of a warm welcome.

    Best wishes


  • Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

    Hi Crin88

    Hello and welcome you need to find a gp near to you and inform them in writing of your concerns and the problems you had on your last move to see if it will be a problem when you register with them I’m sure reception will be able to find out for you hope that helps

    Jona 😊

  • Froglet
    Froglet Member Posts: 9


    I find this amazing that you have basically had to start all over again. As an ex Medical PA, we used to write to the new hospitals involved and you were added to their lists, maybe a good idea to speak to the PALS department of the hospital trust you are referred to, they maybe able to assist you.

    Good luck, I would like to know how you get on too.


  • helpline_team

    Hi @Crin88

    Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I am sorry to hear of your experience last time you moved house and appreciate your concerns about it not happening again this time.

    Thanks to Ellen, Jona and Chris for their insight and helpful suggestions. We would agree that contacting PALS for assistance would be a good idea to ensure a smooth transition between hospital trusts and that expressing your concerns in writing before you register with a practice could also help. Before you do that though, we would suggest that you contact your local Healthwatch service for advice. I am uncertain where you are based but have included a link to Healthwatch England so you can see how they may be able to help.  

    You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

    I hope this is helpful.

    Best wishes


    Helpline Team