I have severe pain in my wrist I can hardly move my fingers. I have taken tramadol and ibuprofen which hasn't eased the pain I'm not sure what else to try can anyone help me please.


  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

    You need to ask your GP for a referral to your local Pain Clinic, they have more experience of arthritis and can recommend different meds and treatments to help.

  • helpline_team

    Hi there

    Thanks for you post to the Helpline. I don't know what type of arthritis you may have been diagnosed with, whether it's the age related changes in joints of osteoarthritis OA or another kind.

    I'm attaching our information on Conditions where you can look up how types of arthritis are treated. If you are unsure, why not ring us at the Helpline (0800 5200 520) so we can find out a bit more and try to advise you more fully?

    Conditions | Types of arthritis, causes, treatments (

    All the best

    Guy Helpline Team

  • Liberty99
    Liberty99 Member Posts: 1

    I am new to all this and find it hard to admit that chronic pain is ruining my life , I find it so hard to get up in the morning as I’m in so much pain , which takes hours to subside , the smallest amount of house work puts me out for hours and daily easy tasks are so hard to complete , I have not been diagnosed with arthritis anywhere else but in my hands which is outwardly visible , my knuckles are bent . For the past year I have been in pain everywhere , should I go to doctor ? The last time I went I was prescribed naproxen and they make me feel ill , so I’m suffering so much and need some help , I am a carer for my autistic daughter and now find it so hard

  • Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 12. Mar 2021, 19:10

    Hi @Liberty99

    Just want to welcome you to the online community,its great to see you have already started chatting to others.

    You state that you have Chronic Pain which is ruining your life and your hands and knuckles are bent also a carer for your daughter.You do sound as if you are going through a hard time at the moment and life is not easy when you are continually in pain. You should go and see your GP with your symptoms, you dont say wether you have seesn any specialist such as a Rhumatologist or an Orthopaedic doctor for a diagnosis for your symptoms.

    Here are a few links that may help

    Arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatment | Versus Arthritis

    Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (

    Hand and wrist pain | Causes, exercises, treatments (

    Carers | Advice and support | Versus Arthritis

    Hope these are helpful.Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and just keep on chatting to others on our forums.

    Take care Christine

    Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

    Hi @Cunny and @Liberty99 , it sounds like you’ve both been suffering badly for a while. You both need to go to your HP, just because one recommended treatment didn’t work doesn’t mean they don’t have other things they can offer. They may either refer you to a rheumatologist or orthopaedic consultant, or a pain clinic. You shouldn’t be suffering this badly, and for so long, and when it’s having such an awful effect on your daily lives. That’s what GPs are there for! Even if they don’t have the answer the,selves, they should be referring you to someone who does, and you should be asking them to do this.

  • helpline_team

    Dear Liberty99

    Thank you for your post on the forum I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and this is making it so difficult to get up and to do daily tasks. It is positive that you have reached out to the online community to talk to others about what you are going through.

    I see that Christine has responded to your post and as she has said it sounds as if you are going through a very hard time. As she has suggested you should go and see your GP to let them know about your symptoms and the pain you are in so they can review your pain relief and assess your treatment. Please look at the links that Christine has given in her response as these contain information about treatments, managing pain, and information for carers that may be helpful to you.

    Your local authority may also be able to arrange for you to have support in the home and advise you on local schemes and services that can help.

    If there are things you struggle to do at home and this impacts on your quality of life, ask your local council for a free needs assessment. Everybody living in England is entitled to one. If you live elsewhere in the UK you can look at the support you can receive on the following link.


    Your Home, adaptations and support.

    I hope this information is helpful to you. I would also like to encourage you to call us here on the helpline so that you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. You can contact us on 0800 5200 520 (Monday – Friday 9am – 8pm).

    Kind Regards

    Dawn, Helpline Advisor