Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Spine exercisers

I'm 82 and suffer from arthritis of the spine, I can only walk with a stick and only for twenty minutes , I easy loose my balance and have fallen a couple of times so I can't do anything physical , I have always loved my gardens but now my wife who is 10 years younger than me has to do it . Is there any type or exercise I can do to help or any medication I can take, except for my spine problem I am still reasonably fit. Very very frustrated. James Dixon.

Comments

• Shell_HShell_H Posts: 249 mod

I've found some exercises publised by the MS society of exercises you can do while lying down, which might help - you could do these in bed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ElNglEgRY

From having done a couple of weeks of the Let's move with Leon program (I need to do more) I can say the ones I've seen have been ones which you can do standing or sitting on a chair, and the standing ones you can do while holding on to something to help your balance. I understand some of the later weeks have more floor exercises, but you can skip those and do the exercises which work for you. I'd have a look - they send you an email a week with a link to videos for exercise, and you do as much as you are comfortable doing.

Shell

• hhunthhunt Posts: 3

Hi I wounder if Leon as any exercises for arthritis in the spine that can help me , thank you