Let's Move exercises

Options
Whiskey26
Whiskey26 Member Posts: 88
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I have just enrolled on Leon's exercise programme and I just wondered how anyone has found it? I have osteoarthritis in my hip and I am very wary of causing myself even more pain. Are the exercises easy or comfortable to do? Is there an option to opt out of any that I feel I can't do? I am waiting for swimming pools to reopen, as I think this will benefit me the most, but I need to keep moving in the meantime and thought I'd try Leon's programme, if it's not too difficult. 😊

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I did them for a while and really enjoyed them. They're as light as you want them to be, (he has his mum doing the easy version) and he's a likeable lad.

I have OA in one hip too, but sadly for me almost any movement aggravates it, even upper torso stretches! 🙄 I haven't found an exercise that doesn't set it off - even sitting still on the sofa will do it. But everyone's condition, and the specific damage to their joint, is slightly different, so don't let me put you off. I have a friend who's just had her hip replaced, and she was still walking her dog every day.

So give it a go. It does work on the rest of your body, and if you're becoming less mobile, it's easy for the rest of you to seize up as well, so it's good to have an all over stretch out.

• Whiskey26
    Options

Many thanks for your reply. I will give it a go and see what happens. I do tend to stiffen up if I sit for too long and I fidget from one side to the other in bed, so it might do me some good? Time will tell 😊

• JGeorge1
    JGeorge1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Sitting for too long is definitely the worst mistake I make - usually by falling asleep in front of the television until the dogs (4 noisy ones) demand to go outside. Even then, trying to move quickly is dangerous because I can't feel my feet and am most likely to fall over! Fidgeting in bed is less likely for me - as at least 2 dogs, one either side - restricts movement.

After waiting in vain for more than 12 months for the local Pain Clinic to provide ANOTHER steroid jab to my hip, have given up on ever getting a hip replacement via THAT Pain Clinic. My GP doesn't quite dare to agree, but having seen x-rays of the bad hip, she doesn't think they stand any chance of getting a needle INTO the hip joint. It appears my only chance of help is to go private. That is VERY annoying even though I can probably afford it! I feel for anyone else in this situation that can't! |I have a 1st appointment next Friday with a very good surgeon - at least I'll find out if he is prepared to 'fix' me as I gather bad circulation and a history of a pulmonary embolus after surgery (to remove a large meningioma) don't make me a 'desirable' patient. Am already on hefty doses of blood thinners, pain killers etc. The thought of 3-5 days away from home is difficult, not least because of the care of my dogs (I lost my husband last year) and live alone - no family to help - though a friend has volunteered to move in and care for the dogs while I'm away, and for a few days after I get home.

Haven't looked at the exercises yet though doubt they will help me too much. I already do exercises every night in a hot bath which makes them almost bearable. And I struggle with 'normal. exercise (normal for me includes driving a tractor and getting in and out of it is hard enough.)

• Leupam
    Leupam Member Posts: 1
    Options

So good, Leon lets you move at your own pace I am on week 3 & getting more advanced but do what does not hurt!

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @Leupam

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

Thank you for the message you sent to me earlier today. I hope that you find participating in the forum as well as Leon's programme beneficial.

Kind Regards

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Whiskey26
    Options

Hi JGeorge1

It certainly sounds like you're having a hard time. You're very brave to have the steroid injection into your hip! I decided that if my pain gets too bad, I will just keep on with the painkillers. I hate needles and the thought of having a needle stuck into my hip makes me feel sick. I am led to believe that it doesn't always work and if it does, the pain relief isn't that long lasting, so I won't bother. It's very nice of your friend to volunteer to look after your dogs and yourself, as and when you have the replacement done. It's one less thing for you to worry about. If you are still managing to get in and out of your tractor, I'm impressed. I find it hard to swing my legs up into bed on a night, it really hurts my knees, despite me having no arthritis there. Hopefully Leon's exercises might help?

• Whiskey26
    Options

Hi Leupam

Thanks for your message. Glad to know you're finding Leon's exercises beneficial. I will give them a go and as you say, I shall only do the ones that don't cause me any pain.