Hello!

Options
Decsgran
Decsgran Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I have just been diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica yesterday. I have had really bad neck and shoulder pain first thing in the morning since January but put it down to how I was sleeping or sitting too much during the day. Then the legs started aching. A visit to my chiropractor didn’t help. I was putting off contacting GP because of COVID but eventually had to do an online consult, which resulted in her wanting a blood test. That took another week and I had it yesterday morning and got a call with the result in the afternoon. I took my first dose of prednisone this morning. I have been trying to lose a bit of weight so wondered if you had any recommendations for at least maintaining my current weight rather than gaining.

Comments

• Hi @Decsgran,

Welcome to the online community! It's so lovely to have you here.

I see that you are recently diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. Here's a link which you may find useful:

Well done for trying to manage your weight, I know it can be especially hard with chronic pain but it is one of the best things you can do for your health and happiness. I'm sure other members will weigh in with tips. If you are looking for somewhere to begin with exercise, Versus Arthritis has a popular online weekly programme called 'Let's Move With Leon' - you can sign up here:

Just something to look out for - about 20% of people with PMR develop a more serious condition called giant cell arteritis (GCA). According to the NHS, the symptoms of GCA include: "a severe headache that develops suddenly (your scalp may also feel sore or tender); pain in the jaw muscles when eating; or problems with sight, such as double vision or loss of vision". If you notice these symptoms in yourself, it's very important to tell your GP as soon as possible or call 111.

Do continue to keep us updated. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy browsing the Online Community and participate in any discussion you like, I'm sure you will be warmly welcomed.

Best wishes,

Sarah (mod) x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I sympathise, my sister has PMR, and really struggles with it, and with the side effects of the drugs. She’s on steroids, which I believe is one of the standard treatments, but my physio mentioned that with the right treatment they can get on top of this completely in around 2 years (ie it isn’t necessarily a life long condition).

I managed to lose a stone without trying during the first lockdown by cutting out “unnecessary calories”, eg alcohol, crisps and snacks, cake, chocolate, biscuits etc, and with portion control. I did allow myself the occasional treat, (life’s too short to be THAT miserable), but I didn’t miss the alcohol, and to be honest it wasn’t much of a hardship. (And I kinda had to do it as none of my summer trousers fitted me anymore, and I couldn’t go out to buy a bigger size!😅).

Since i’ve gone back to work, it’s all piled on again though, which just demonstrates to me that I eat when stressed. Perhaps my body is trying to tell me something.🙄